Having trouble finding trajectory of a small rocket

In summary, the conversation revolves around a homework assignment involving launching small rockets and using data collected during the launch to solve problems related to trajectory and forces. The speaker is seeking help with remembering relevant equations and formulas. They provide data such as the angle and flight time of the rocket, as well as the masses of various components. The attempted solution involves using basic algebraic equations to calculate the height, velocity, and acceleration of the rocket. The speaker also asks about the magnitudes of thrust and gravity and how they affect the flight of the rocket.
KiwiD

Homework Statement

So we launched small rockets on our last day, but have a week to turn in the homework based on the launch, but seeing as we aren't allowed back in school I can't ask questions I am lost. We haven't dealt with anything remotely related to trajectory since the beginning of fall. I'm confident in doing the math needed, I just need help remembering some formulas. some outstanding questions are-

* Magnitude of the 2 main forces acting on the rocket ( thrust and gravity)
* average acceleration
* final velocity
* initial velocity when rocket enters coasting phase

the only data we collected at the launch was the angle of the flight path and we timed the rockets path from ignition to the apex of flight. I have no idea how to get the velocity or acceleration from that.

if you want my numbers, M of rocket+engine = 37.6 grams, M of Engine = 19.1 grams, M of Rocket = 18.5 grams, flight time to apex = 4.8 Sec, Height angle was 69 degrees measured 200 meters from the launch position. that's all the data i have. THANK YOU!

Homework Equations

like I said, its been a while and all I am really looking for is the relevant equations I need to solve the problems. We use basic algebraic equations. i remember a=v/t, v=d/t and that's all i remember.

The Attempt at a Solution

(Tan68) * 200= h
h= 408.01 meters
v=d/t
v= 408.01/ 4.8
v=85.003 m/s
a=v/t
a= 85.003/ 4.8
a= 17.709 m/s/s

(Magnitude of thrust)
would that be 5.03 * 37.6 = 189.128 N
(magnitude of gravity)
would that be 9.8*37.6 = 368.48 N
if so, how would the rocket fly seeing as the magnitude of gravity is > than magnitude of thrust?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the actual worksheet that i have to fill out if you want to take a look at that

Attachments

• Predicted Rocket Data - Practice Sheet.doc
    90.5 KB · Views: 317

What is the process for finding the trajectory of a small rocket?

The process for finding the trajectory of a small rocket involves several steps. First, you will need to gather data on the rocket's speed, mass, and thrust. Next, you will need to use equations of motion, such as Newton's second law, to calculate the rocket's acceleration. From there, you can use the equations of projectile motion to determine the rocket's trajectory.

What factors can affect the trajectory of a small rocket?

There are several factors that can affect the trajectory of a small rocket. These include the rocket's initial speed, mass, and thrust, as well as external factors such as air resistance, gravity, and wind. Even small variations in these factors can greatly impact the rocket's trajectory.

How accurate are trajectory calculations for small rockets?

The accuracy of trajectory calculations for small rockets can vary depending on the data and equations used. Generally, the more accurate and precise the initial data and calculations are, the more accurate the final trajectory will be. However, there are always external factors that can affect the actual trajectory of a small rocket, so it may not always match the calculated trajectory exactly.

What tools or software can be used to calculate the trajectory of a small rocket?

There are several tools and software programs that can be used to calculate the trajectory of a small rocket. Some common examples include simulation software, such as OpenRocket or SpaceCAD, and mathematical software, such as MATLAB or Mathematica. These programs use equations and data to create a visual representation of the rocket's trajectory.

What are some potential challenges in accurately determining the trajectory of a small rocket?

One potential challenge in accurately determining the trajectory of a small rocket is the accuracy and precision of the initial data. Any errors or discrepancies in the speed, mass, or thrust measurements can greatly impact the final trajectory calculation. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and wind can also introduce uncertainty into the trajectory calculation. It is important to carefully gather and analyze data to minimize these challenges.