Having trouble resolving diskspace issue on my computer

• Thread starter noblegas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary: It is possible to delete cache and temporary files from your web browser, but it's not clear how much space it would free up.
noblegas
I cannot watch youtube videos on my computer supposedly due to 200 low diskspace. I tried cleaning up my diskdrive by removing some of the programs that amounted to 200 MB of diskspace, but that did not work. I then tried downloading the Tree-file freeware that I was told would determine what programs on my computer(1024 GB, IBM Thinkpad) , is taking up the amount of space that doesn't allow me to watch youtube videos, but couldn't download it, because I have little or no space for downloading the tree-file program. What other options do I have? The most effective way for me to watch youtube videos is to restart my computer , but the diskspace icon will eventually pop up while watching a youtube video and suddenly I would be unable to watch a you tube video. I do not wish to continue to used this method because obviously it is not effective enough. Meanwhile , I looked at my hardrive properties and it said that I have 37.2 GB of used space and 18.4 MB of freespace. The value of the total amount of megabytes that occupies my freespace keeps changing .

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Try deleting restore points and disabling system restore. Also you can delete all unnecessary user accounts and user files. You can also reduce your virtual memory a little (assuming you are using a pre-vista OS).

Of course the best option is upgrading you're hard disk or clearing out user files from "documents and setting" folder to an external drive.

Archive important material to external harddrive/USB/DVD and delete everything else.

ranger said:
Try deleting restore points and disabling system restore. Also you can delete all unnecessary user accounts and user files. You can also reduce your virtual memory a little (assuming you are using a pre-vista OS).

Of course the best option is upgrading you're hard disk or clearing out user files from "documents and setting" folder to an external drive.

How would you delete restore points and disable system restore? Do you think clearing up internet cache and cookies will expand storage space in hard drive? How would you clear up internet cache and ilnternet web browser cookies?

Assuming you are using XP, see the following Microsoft KB article on system restore:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405

Internet temporary files and temp files in general can take up some space, but in your case, it can make quite a difference. You can run Disk Cleanup (in Accessories) and it will find your temp files. Alternatively, you can use your browser to remove the web browser temp files.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/using/howto/customizing/clearcache.mspx

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why am I constantly running out of disk space on my computer?

There could be several reasons why you are experiencing a disk space issue. Some common causes include the accumulation of temporary files, large file downloads, and an excessive number of installed programs.

2. How can I free up disk space on my computer?

There are a few ways to free up disk space, such as deleting unnecessary files, uninstalling unused programs, and using a disk cleanup tool. You can also consider transferring large files to an external storage device or cloud storage.

3. Is there a way to prevent my computer from running out of disk space?

Yes, there are steps you can take to prevent future disk space issues. These include regularly cleaning up temporary files, regularly uninstalling unused programs, and regularly transferring large files to external storage.

4. Should I consider upgrading my computer's hardware to solve the disk space issue?

It depends on the cause of the disk space issue. If the issue is due to a lack of physical storage space, then upgrading your computer's hardware, such as adding a larger hard drive, may be a solution. However, if the issue is due to excessive files and programs, upgrading hardware may not solve the problem.

5. Is there a way to identify which files or programs are taking up the most disk space?

Yes, there are tools and programs that can help you identify which files and programs are taking up the most disk space. These include built-in disk cleanup tools and third-party software. By identifying the largest files and programs, you can then decide which ones to delete or transfer to free up disk space.