Plank's law - my computer is having trouble with the formula

In summary, the conversation revolved around Plank's law and the difficulty of using the formula on a computer. The formula involves a complex calculation with the exponent causing an error. The solution discussed was to rewrite the formula using natural logarithms, but a typo in the value of Plank's constant caused further issues.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Plank's law -- my computer is having trouble with the formula

[tex]f_\lambda \left( T \right) = \frac{{2\pi hc^2 /\lambda ^5 }}{{\exp \left( {\frac{{hc}}{{\lambda kT}}} \right) - 1}}
[/tex]

I'm guessing this thing wants wavelength in meters. So for a temperature of 5600 K and a wavelength of 0.5 um (5e-7 m), the part that I'm using as the exponent for e, [tex]{\frac{{hc}}{{\lambda kT}}}
[/tex] comes out to (6.626068e-24*2.99792458e8/(5e-7*1.3806503e-23*5600)) =51384823425.8871.

And e^51384823425.8871 is not a number my computer can calculate.

How can I use this formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not a complete solution- but worth trying.
ln(f(T))=ln(2pi h c^2/lambda^5)-hc/lambda k T

Accurate to a lot of sig. fig.

Compare the magnitude of the two terms on the RHS to see if one dominates by orders of magnitude.

Thanks. Someone in the math department at school recommended the same thing. However, my value for plank's constant turns out to be wrong. I must have made a typo. it's e-34, not e-24. This turns the value fed to exp( ) from5.138e10 into a managable 5.138.

Thanks for your reply.

1. What is Plank's law?

Plank's law is a formula that describes the spectral radiance of a black body at a given temperature.

2. What does the formula for Plank's law look like?

The formula for Plank's law is L(λ, T) = (2hc²/λ⁵) x (1/(e^(hc/λkT) - 1)), where L is the spectral radiance, λ is the wavelength, T is the temperature, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and k is the Boltzmann constant.

3. How is Plank's law used in science?

Plank's law is used to calculate the amount of energy emitted by a black body at a certain temperature, and is commonly used in fields such as astrophysics and climate science to understand the behavior of objects that emit thermal radiation.

4. What could be causing my computer to have trouble with the formula?

There could be several reasons for your computer to have trouble with the formula, such as incorrect input values, a programming error, or insufficient memory or processing power to perform the calculations.

5. Are there any alternative methods for calculating Plank's law?

Yes, there are several alternative methods for calculating Plank's law, such as using numerical integration or approximations such as the Wien or Rayleigh-Jeans approximation. These methods may be more computationally efficient or applicable to specific situations, but may also introduce errors or limitations in accuracy.