Having trouble solving this diff eq

• Thread starter travisr34
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diff eq
In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with solving a differential equations problem involving a 2 mass spring damper system. The equations and constants are given, and the method suggested is to integrate F(t) twice to find y(t), then solve for x2 and use that to solve for x1. The conversation also mentions the introduction of four undetermined constants in the process.
travisr34
So I am an engineer and its been about two years since I have taken a differential equations class and the method in which to solve this has totally been lost to me. If anyone can help me out that would be great thanks.

m1x1''+k(x2-x1)+b(x2'-x1')+F(t)=0
m2x2''+k(x1-x2)+b(x1'-x2')=0

I need to solve for x1 in terms of all over variables.
Here m1,m2,k,and b are constant. F(t) is some impulse force on the system. This is suppose to model a 2 mass spring damper system with an impulse force on one of the masses.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you add the two equations, you get m1x1"+ m2x2"+ F(T)= 0. We can interpret that as y"= -F(t) where y= m1x1+ m2x2. You can solve that by integrating F(t) twice.

Once you have found y(t), write y= m1x1+ m2x2 as m1x1= y- m2x2 so that x1= (y- m2x2)m1. Put that into either of the equations and you have a single second order equation for x2. Solve that for x2 and use x1= (y- m2x2)/m1 to find x1.

Notice that in integrating to find y, you will have two "constants of integration". Solving the second order equation for x2 will introduce another two constants.
Solving for x1 does not require any integration and does not introduce new constants. Since the original problem had two second order differential equations, four undetermined constants is exactly what we would expect.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model many scientific phenomena, such as growth, decay, and motion.

2. Why is solving differential equations difficult?

Solving differential equations can be difficult because they often involve complex mathematical concepts and techniques, such as integration, differentiation, and series solutions. Additionally, they may not have a closed-form solution, meaning that an exact solution cannot be found using known mathematical methods.

3. What are some common methods for solving differential equations?

Some common methods for solving differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, and using specific formulas for certain types of equations (e.g. linear, homogeneous, etc.). Numerical methods, such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods, can also be used to approximate solutions.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving differential equations?

To improve your skills in solving differential equations, it is important to have a solid understanding of the underlying concepts and techniques, such as integration, differentiation, and series solutions. Practice with a variety of problems and seek help from textbooks, online resources, or a tutor if needed.

5. Are there any applications of differential equations in real life?

Yes, there are many applications of differential equations in real life. They are commonly used in physics, engineering, economics, biology, and other fields to model and understand various phenomena, such as population growth, heat transfer, electrical circuits, and chemical reactions.