Solving fourth order differential equation ( )

In summary, the conversation is about solving a fourth order differential equation with initial and terminal conditions. The equations given are x1''(t) = 8 x2(t) and x2''(t) = 2 x1(t). The suggestion is to use the Laplace transform or assume a solution of the form x1(t) = c1 e^(at) + c2 e^(-at) + c3 sin(at) + c4 cos(at). The correct value for "a" is found to be 2. The conversation also discusses finding the second order differential for x1 and suggests using the eigenvalue-eigenvector equation.
sasikanth
Solving fourth order differential equation (URGENT)

I have two second order differential equation which needs to be solved.

x1''(t) = 8 x2(t)
x2''(t) = 2 x1(t)

I have the initial conditions, x1(0) = 0, x2(0) = 1, and terminal conditions x1(pi/4) = 1, x2(pi/4) = 0.

Can anyone help me solve these equations?? What I did was to write the equations in terms of x1 and x2 respectively, but that gives me a fourth order differential

x1''''(t) = 16 x1(t)
x2''''(t) = 16 x2(t)

and I do not know how to solve for these. Can anyone help please??

Physics news on Phys.org

You know that the exponential, sine and cosine return to their original form after differentiating them four times. So try a solution of the form [itex]c_1 e^{a t}+c_2 e^{-at}+c_3 \sin(at)+c_4 \cos(at)[/itex].

So the solution would be
x1(t) = c1 e^(16t) + c2 e^-(16t) + c3 sin(16t) + c4 cos(16t)??

No you found the wrong a. Differentiating e^16t 4 times would give 16^4 e^16t, which is not a solution.

would a = 4 be the correct solution??

I am not sure why you have to ask. Take the derivative of your function with a=4 , four times and you will see that it is not the correct solution.

I am sorry, I was taking the second dervivative for some reason. I conclude that a = 2 would be thr right solution. Am I correct??

Yes that's correct.

In order to solve for c1,c2,c3 and c4, I would need the second differential of x1. Would that be x1'' = c1 e^4t +c2 e^-4t ??

sasikanth said:
I have two second order differential equation which needs to be solved.

x1''(t) = 8 x2(t)
x2''(t) = 2 x1(t)

Your equations are linear with constant coefficients. I would handle either the following ways

1. Apply the Laplace transform to the equations - this will transform the problem to solving algebraic system of equations or

2. Let the solution be x1(t)=q1ert and x2(t)=q2ert . Substitute this assumption and you can determine r, q1 and q2 from eigenvalue-eigenvector equation.

I got the solution to the equation using the fourth order differntial, but am stuck wolving for the constants c1,c2,c3,c4. If I wanted the second order differntail for x1, would that be x1'' = c1 e^4t +c2 e^-4t ??

1. What is a fourth order differential equation?

A fourth order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the fourth derivative of a function. It is typically used to model physical phenomena in fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry.

2. How do you solve a fourth order differential equation?

There are various methods for solving a fourth order differential equation, depending on the type of equation and initial conditions. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using series solutions. It is important to understand the characteristics of the equation and choose the appropriate method.

3. What are the applications of solving fourth order differential equations?

Solving fourth order differential equations is important in many fields of science and engineering. It is used to model physical systems such as vibrations, heat transfer, and fluid flow. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems.

4. Is it possible to solve a fourth order differential equation analytically?

In some cases, it is possible to solve a fourth order differential equation using analytical methods. However, this is not always the case and numerical methods may need to be used instead. It also depends on the specific equation and its initial conditions.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving fourth order differential equations?

Some common mistakes when solving fourth order differential equations include incorrect application of mathematical techniques, incorrect interpretation of initial conditions, and errors in algebraic manipulations. It is important to double check calculations and be familiar with the specific method being used to avoid these mistakes.