Heat conduction coefficient in tungsten

In summary, the thermal conductivity of tungsten is influenced by both electron and phonon conduction, with the former dominating. The crystalline structure of tungsten allows for phonon transparency in certain energy bands, leading to increased heat conductivity. However, at higher temperatures, the effect of electron motion decreases and the heat conductivity decreases gradually. Further research and comparisons with other materials may help explain this behavior.
rayman123

Homework Statement

Hello! I am supposed to explain the behaviour of the thermal conductivity of tungsten. I have plotted the relation
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/9776/heatcond.jpg is also experimental data
Temp[0 10 50 100 300 500 1000 2000 3400]
and thermal conductivity coefficient
[tex]\lambda[/tex] 0 97,1 4,28 2,08 1,74 1,46 1,18 1 0,9]
Can someone explain the mechanism to me? Why does the thermal conductivity reache its maximum for T=10K ? and after that it gradually decreases and after some temp is behaves almost like constant?
How this can be explained?
Thank you!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I'm not an expert in solid state physics but here are some background issues.

Heat conduction in a crystalline material such as tungsten will be expressible at the quantum level in terms of random phonon propagation (quantized vibrations i.e. sound particles) and thermal electron conduction.

Typically in metals electron based heat conduction dominates while in non-metalic crystalline materials phonon propagation dominates. However given Tungsten is a very hard crystalline metal with lower conductivity both may be significant.

Now with the crystaline structure you have via the somewhat regular atomic spacing, bands of phonon transparency where the wavelengths are matching up with the spacing.

Heat conductivity due to electron motion may be more significant in Tungsten, it being a metal. The electrons also conduct in certain energy (and thus wavelength) bands affected by atomic spacing which is affected by the temperature.

I got quite a few good "pops" googling: "heat conductivity electron phonon mechanisms"

So I would begin, if I were you, to see what other materials show similar heat conductivity vs temperature effects, compare the thermal conductivity curves to electrical conductivity curves, thermal expansion curves, speed of sound measurement curves. Possibly there is a transition point which of phonon vs electron based heat conduction dominates.

thank you for your reply. The mechanism itself I am familiar with but I do not know how to explain this behaviour, why suddenly the heat conductivity decreases as the temp raises. I will do some researches:)

1. What is the heat conduction coefficient of tungsten?

The heat conduction coefficient of tungsten is approximately 173 W/mK at room temperature. This means that tungsten is a very good conductor of heat compared to other materials.

2. How does the heat conduction coefficient of tungsten compare to other metals?

Tungsten has one of the highest heat conduction coefficients among metals, surpassed only by silver and copper. It is about 3 times more conductive than iron and 5 times more conductive than steel.

3. Does the heat conduction coefficient of tungsten change with temperature?

Yes, the heat conduction coefficient of tungsten decreases slightly as temperature increases. This is due to the increase in thermal resistance caused by increased atomic vibrations at higher temperatures.

4. Why is tungsten often used in high-temperature applications?

Tungsten's high heat conduction coefficient, along with its high melting point and low thermal expansion, make it an ideal choice for high-temperature applications. It can efficiently transfer and dissipate heat without deforming or melting under extreme temperatures.

5. Can the heat conduction coefficient of tungsten be improved?

Yes, the heat conduction coefficient of tungsten can be improved by alloying it with other metals, such as copper or nickel. These alloys can have even higher heat conduction coefficients than pure tungsten, making them useful in specific applications where heat transfer is critical.