Heat Transfer Problem Conduction and Convection

In summary, a tent with insulation on the top and sides, a heater inside, and specific conditions for the surrounding medium is being analyzed. Using equations for convection and conduction, the temperatures for the inside air, inner tent surface, and outside tent surface were determined to be 21.77*C, 15.27*C, and 9.595*C respectively, assuming steady state conditions.
charan1

Homework Statement

A tent being considered for cold-weather conditions has insulation on the top and sides with a conductivity, k = 0.040 W/(m*K) and a thickness, l = 0.50 cm. The tent (and surrounding medium) has the following conditions: a heater (inside the tent) producing heat at a rate of 1500 W, the total surface area of the tent is 33 m2, an average heat transfer coefficient between the inside air and inside surface of hi = 7 W/(m2*K), an average heat transfer coefficient between the outside air and outside surface of ho = 10 W/(m2*K), and an outside temperature of tao = 5*C. Determine the tent temperature, tai, with the insulated tent. Also find the inside surface temperature of the tent insulation material, tsi, and the outside surface temperature, tso.

Thermal Conductivity of tent material (k) = .040 W/m*k
Surface Area of Tent (A) = 33m2
Outside air Temp (tao) = 5*C + 273.15 = 278.15K
Convective heat transfer coefficient inside tent(hi) = 7 W/(m2*K)
Convective heat transfer coefficient outside tent(ho) = 10W/(m2*K)
q inside tent = 1500W
Tent Thickness ([tex]\Delta[/tex]x) = .005m
Inside air Temp (tai) = ?
Inside Tent Surface Temp tsi = ?
Outside Tent Surface Temp tso = ?

Homework Equations

Convection:
q=h*A*[tex]\Delta[/tex]T

Conduction:
q=-k*A*[tex]\Delta[/tex]T / [tex]\Delta[/tex]x

The Attempt at a Solution

For Outside Air to outside tent Surface (Which is convection) so [tex]\Delta[/tex]T = tso - tao :
q=(10W/m2*K)(33m2)(tso - 278.15K)

For the Heat transfer between the inner and outer surface of the tent (Which is Conduction):
q= -(.04W/m*k)(33m2)(tso - tsi) / .005m

For Heat transfer between the inside air and inner tent surface (which is convection) so [tex]\Delta[/tex]T = tsi - tai :
1500W=(7W/m2*k)(33m2)([tex]\Delta[/tex]T)
[tex]\Delta[/tex]T=6.4935k
6.4935k=tsi - tai

I got this far, I know I have to set some equations equal to each other but every time I attempted that I end up having about 2-3 unknowns in one equation...please point me in the right direction to solve this.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
If you assume steady state, can you say anything about all three heat flux values?

I'm not exactly sure what that is...we have never gone over anything that has to do with heat flux this is a basic Engineering Sciences 101 homework. We only covered convection and conduction and have these formulas.

The heat flux is q, and it's measured in J/s, or W... Know what I'm getting at?

Oh I see so, delta U - Work = Q

Delta U would be the temperature change? And W is equal to 0? because there is no mechanical energy?

What would I set Delta U equal to with the information I have?

Not quite... the energy of the tent doesn't change if it's at steady state. More like the heater puts out 1500 W, so this is the heat flux through all the layers. This leaves you with an equation with only one unknown.

Last edited:
What is the definition of steady state? Since that explains that the Q is 1500Watts throughout...

Steady state exists when none of the system's state variables (like temperature) change with time.

For Outside Air to outside tent Surface (Which is convection) so [tex]\Delta[/tex]T = tso - tao :
1500W=(10W/m2*K)(33m2)(tso - 5*C)
tso=9.595*C

For the Heat transfer between the inner and outer surface of the tent (Which is Conduction):
1500W= -(.04W/m*k)(33m2)(tsi - 9.595*C) / .005m
tsi=3.913*C

For Heat transfer between the inside air and inner tent surface (which is convection) so [tex]\Delta[/tex]T = tsi - tai :
1500W=(7W/m2*k)(33m2)(3.913*C-tai)
tai=-2.58*C

these are the numbers I got, I'm not sure they are correct because it doesn't really make sense to me...

I think the problem is something with the [tex]\Delta[/tex]T's...The way I subtracted them...I was unsure about which value actually goes first in the delta...for instance the surface temp or the air temp...

Well, let's look at it this way: wouldn't you expect the temperature to get colder as you transition from the heater to the outside? Does that help get the signs right?

1500W=(10W/m2*K)(33m2)(tso - 5*C)
tso=9.595*C

For the heat transfer between the inner and outer surface of the tent (Which is Conduction):
1500W= -(.04W/m*k)(33m2)(9.595*C - tsi) / .005m
tsi=15.27*C

For Heat transfer between the inside air and inner tent surface (which is convection) so [tex]\Delta[/tex] T = tsi - tai :
1500W=(7W/m2*k)(33m2)(tai - 15.27*C)
tai=21.77*C

This made more sense...what do you think?

Much more sense!

Thank you!

1. How does conduction and convection differ in heat transfer?

Conduction is the transfer of heat through a material or between two materials that are in direct contact, while convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids.

2. What is an example of conduction in everyday life?

An example of conduction in everyday life is when you touch a hot pan and feel the heat transfer from the pan to your hand.

3. How does convection occur in nature?

Convection occurs in nature through the movement of air and water. For example, warm air rises and cool air sinks, creating a convection current.

4. Why is convection a more efficient form of heat transfer than conduction?

Convection is a more efficient form of heat transfer than conduction because it involves the movement of a larger volume of fluid, allowing for more heat to be transferred over a shorter period of time.

5. How can conduction and convection be used to improve energy efficiency?

Conduction and convection can be used in various ways to improve energy efficiency, such as using materials with high thermal conductivity for insulation and utilizing convection currents in heating and cooling systems to circulate air more efficiently.