Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Equation with moving source

1. Oct 23, 2012 #1
    Hello there,

I want to solve the heat PDE in a 1D domain for a source moving at constant speed. The problem has been solved already, the solution being stationary in a reference frame moving with the source.

This is highly un-intuitive, and I suppose the result originate from the fact the source is assumed to have been moving (exisiting) for an infinite amount of time.

Instead, I am interested in a source starting to move at time zero.

I attacked the problem as reported in the attachment, I wonder if the solution is correct.

Many thanks as usual for your help. I apologize for not writing the equation directly here, but I have not figured out yet how to use Latex in the post, I am getting there though.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Looks fine.

You can use LaTeX with the [itex] (inline) and [tex] (new line) commands (or shorter: ##equation## and $$equation$$)

4. Oct 23, 2012 #3
    Many thanks for looking at it and the hint.

5. Oct 23, 2012 #4
    Hi muzialis !

Sorry, I have not the time to dactylography the whole solution.
    If there is no mistake, the key points are in attachment :

Attached Files:

6. Oct 23, 2012 #5
    JJaquelin,

what to say, you reda my mind! Many thanks for this, hope to be able to help back some time

Cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook