Heat/fusion/vaporization question?

• Thread starter pirates01
  • Start date
In summary: This can be expressed as:(2256m + 4.19m(100-50)) = (333 + 4.19(150)) Solving for m gives 33 g of steam required to reach a resultant of 50 oC water.In summary, to reach a resultant of 50 oC water from 150g of ice at -15oC, 33g of steam at 100oC is required. This can be calculated using the equation (2256m + 4.19m(100-50)) = (333 + 4.19(150)). Solving for m gives a value of 33g.
pirates01

Homework Statement

Given 150g of ice at -15oC, how much steam (at 100oC in g) is required to give a resultant of 50oC water?

Homework Equations

q=lm
q=cmT
heat for vap: 2256j
heat for fusion: 333J

The Attempt at a Solution

I got something like
remaining heat: 49950-2256m
change heat with remaining water: 4.19(150+m)T
and that m(100)/(150+m)=50 (error here?)

In the end, i got something like m=9g, which is too little, cause answers says 33g

Physics news on Phys.org
pirates01 said:
I got something like
What exactly is your reasoning for this "remaining heat"? What is 49950 and how did you get it?

I got this from q=lm
where 49950 is the joules taken to melt ice to liquid, and 2256m (where m is the mass of gas) is the joules given off to turn steam to liquid.

When you end up with water at 50 oC, you need to say that the heat lost by the steam is equal to the heat gained by the ice. In other words,

Heat to turn steam to liquid + Heat to reduce T of condensed steam from 100 oC to 50 oC

is equal to

Heat to turn ice to liquid + Heat to raise T of melted ice from 0 oC to 50 oC.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the known values and the unknown value. In this case, the known values are the mass of ice (150g), the initial temperature (-15oC), and the final temperature (50oC). The unknown value is the mass of steam required to reach the final temperature.

Next, I would use the equations for heat transfer to solve for the unknown value. The first equation, q=lm, represents the heat required for a substance to change phase (in this case, from ice to water). The second equation, q=cmT, represents the heat required to change the temperature of a substance.

Using these equations, I would set up two equations: one for the heat required to melt the ice and one for the heat required to raise the temperature of the resulting water. These equations would look like this:

q1 = (150g)(333J/g) = 49950J

q2 = (150g + m)(4.19J/gC)(50oC - (-15oC)) = 4.19(150g + m)(65oC) = 4.19(9750 + 65m)J

Setting these two equations equal to each other and solving for m, we get:

49950J = 4.19(9750 + 65m)J
m = 33g

Therefore, 33g of steam is required to reach a final temperature of 50oC with 150g of ice at -15oC.

1. What is heat?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. It is the energy that causes objects to warm up or cool down.

2. What is fusion?

Fusion is a process in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy. This is the same process that powers the sun and other stars.

3. What is vaporization?

Vaporization is the process in which a liquid is transformed into a gas. This can occur through evaporation, which happens at the surface of a liquid, or boiling, which happens throughout the liquid.

4. How do heat, fusion, and vaporization relate to each other?

Heat is required for both fusion and vaporization to occur. In fusion, heat is needed to overcome the repulsive forces between atomic nuclei and allow them to combine. In vaporization, heat is needed to break the intermolecular bonds that hold a liquid together and allow it to transform into a gas.

5. Can heat, fusion, or vaporization be reversed?

Yes, all three processes can be reversed. Heat can be removed from an object to decrease its temperature, fusion can be reversed through fission (the splitting of a heavy nucleus into two lighter nuclei), and vaporization can be reversed through condensation (the conversion of a gas into a liquid).