Wet cloth freezing and evaporating at 0°C with dry wind

  • Thread starter Thread starter Akash47
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    calorimetry heat
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Akash47
Messages
53
Reaction score
5

Homework Statement


Wet clothing at 0°C is hung out to dry when the air temperature is 0°C and there is a dry wind blowing. After some time, it is found that some of the water has evaporated and the remainder has frozen. Estimate the fraction of the water originally present in the clothing which remains as ice. (At 0°C, specific latent heat of fusion of ice = 336 kJkg-1, specific latent heat of vaporization of water = 2500 kJkg-1, specific heat of water = 4200 Jkg-1K-1)

Homework Equations


Q=msΔθ where Q=amount of heat,m=mass,s=specific heat ,Δθ=change of temperature.

The Attempt at a Solution


The problem can be solved by using the given formula.But I am facing problem that it is impossible to measure the mass of air and as a result, I also failed to compute the heat supplied by the dry air to the water.So how can I get rid of here?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Akash47 said:

Homework Statement


Wet clothing at 0°C is hung out to dry when the air temperature is 0°C and there is a dry wind blowing. After some time, it is found that some of the water has evaporated and the remainder has frozen. Estimate the fraction of the water originally present in the clothing which remains as ice. (At 0°C, specific latent heat of fusion of ice = 336 kJkg-1, specific latent heat of vaporization of water = 2500 kJkg-1, specific heat of water = 4200 Jkg-1K-1)

Homework Equations


Q=msΔθ where Q=amount of heat,m=mass,s=specific heat ,Δθ=change of temperature.

The Attempt at a Solution


The problem can be solved by using the given formula.But I am facing problem that it is impossible to measure the mass of air and as a result, I also failed to compute the heat supplied by the dry air to the water.So how can I get rid of here?
Does air of 0°C supply heat to water also at 0°C? Where does the heat come that evaporates the water?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DrClaude
ehild said:
Does air of 0°C supply heat to water also at 0°C? Where does the heat come that evaporates the water?
I am not sure whether the air of 0°C supply heat.But of course the heat comes from the dry air.But that doesn't solve my problem which I mentioned in my attempt of the solution.
 
Akash47 said:
I am not sure whether the air of 0°C supply heat.But of course the heat comes from the dry air.But that doesn't solve my problem which I mentioned in my attempt of the solution.
The dry wind removes the water vapor, and keeps the cloth at 0°C. But where does the heat come that evaporates the water? Think: what happens if water freezes?