A wet cloth has been hung out to dry....

In summary: The dry wind removes the water vapor, and keeps the cloth at 0°C. But where does the heat come that evaporates the water? Think: what happens if water freezes?
Akash47

Homework Statement

Wet clothing at 0°C is hung out to dry when the air temperature is 0°C and there is a dry wind blowing. After some time, it is found that some of the water has evaporated and the remainder has frozen. Estimate the fraction of the water originally present in the clothing which remains as ice. (At 0°C, specific latent heat of fusion of ice = 336 kJkg-1, specific latent heat of vaporization of water = 2500 kJkg-1, specific heat of water = 4200 Jkg-1K-1)

Homework Equations

Q=msΔθ where Q=amount of heat,m=mass,s=specific heat ,Δθ=change of temperature.

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem can be solved by using the given formula.But I am facing problem that it is impossible to measure the mass of air and as a result, I also failed to compute the heat supplied by the dry air to the water.So how can I get rid of here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Akash47 said:

Homework Statement

Wet clothing at 0°C is hung out to dry when the air temperature is 0°C and there is a dry wind blowing. After some time, it is found that some of the water has evaporated and the remainder has frozen. Estimate the fraction of the water originally present in the clothing which remains as ice. (At 0°C, specific latent heat of fusion of ice = 336 kJkg-1, specific latent heat of vaporization of water = 2500 kJkg-1, specific heat of water = 4200 Jkg-1K-1)

Homework Equations

Q=msΔθ where Q=amount of heat,m=mass,s=specific heat ,Δθ=change of temperature.

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem can be solved by using the given formula.But I am facing problem that it is impossible to measure the mass of air and as a result, I also failed to compute the heat supplied by the dry air to the water.So how can I get rid of here?
Does air of 0°C supply heat to water also at 0°C? Where does the heat come that evaporates the water?

Likes DrClaude
ehild said:
Does air of 0°C supply heat to water also at 0°C? Where does the heat come that evaporates the water?
I am not sure whether the air of 0°C supply heat.But of course the heat comes from the dry air.But that doesn't solve my problem which I mentioned in my attempt of the solution.

Akash47 said:
I am not sure whether the air of 0°C supply heat.But of course the heat comes from the dry air.But that doesn't solve my problem which I mentioned in my attempt of the solution.
The dry wind removes the water vapor, and keeps the cloth at 0°C. But where does the heat come that evaporates the water? Think: what happens if water freezes?

1. How does a wet cloth dry when hung out?

When a wet cloth is hung out to dry, several factors contribute to the drying process. The main one is the flow of air around the cloth, which helps to evaporate the water molecules on its surface. Additionally, the heat from the sun or surrounding environment can also aid in the evaporation process.

2. How long does it take for a wet cloth to dry when hung out?

The time it takes for a wet cloth to dry when hung out depends on various factors, such as the material of the cloth, the humidity of the environment, and the amount of airflow. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a full day for a wet cloth to completely dry.

3. Can a wet cloth dry in a closed or indoor environment?

Yes, a wet cloth can still dry in a closed or indoor environment, although it may take longer compared to being hung out in an open space. The lack of airflow and sunlight may slow down the evaporation process, but it will eventually dry given enough time.

4. Why does a wet cloth feel cold when hung out to dry on a windy day?

When a wet cloth is hung out to dry on a windy day, the air flow increases the rate of evaporation, which causes the water molecules on the cloth's surface to lose heat. This leads to a cooling effect, making the cloth feel colder to the touch.

5. Will a wet cloth dry faster if it is hung out in the sun?

Yes, the sun's heat and UV rays can help speed up the drying process of a wet cloth. The sun's energy can provide additional heat to aid in evaporation and also has a bleaching effect on the cloth, helping to remove any remaining water stains or odors.