1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics adding ice to water problem with latent heat

1. Nov 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Initially you have mW = 4.6 kg of water at TW = 74°C in an insulated container. You add ice at TI = -19°C to the container and the mix reaches a final, equilibrium temperature of Tf = 33°C. The specific heats of ice and water are cI = 2.10×103 J/(kg⋅°C) and cW = 4.19×103 J/(kg⋅°C), respectively, and the latent heat of fusion for water is Lf = 3.34×105 J/kg.

Enter an expression for the mass of ice you added, in terms of the defined quantities.

2. Relevant equations
    Q=mL
    Q=mcT

3. The attempt at a solution
    I set this up and then solved for MI: mW(TW-Tf)CW - mI(Tf-TI)CI = (mW + MI)L
    The program said that there were additional terms in the numerator and denominator, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
    mI = ​
    ( mW ( TW - Tf ) cW - mW Lf )/( Lf + ( Tf - TI ) cI )|

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2016 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Matt.

The heat flow from the water changes the initial mass of ice in three stages, all of which have different heat capacities. You need to use the heat capacity of ice in bringing it to 0C then the latent heat of ice to melt it, and finally the heat capacity of liquid water when bringing it from 0C to Tf. They are all different.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted