1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat gain or loss by s conductor and an insulator.

1. Oct 31, 2008 #1
    Does anyone know of an experiment or know where I can find an experiment to compare the heat gain or heat loss by a conductor and an insulator?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not 100% sure that this would do the trick, but off the top of my head you could boil a conductor in water log enough for it to reach thermal equilibrium (so that it's temp will be ~100C throughout) ad then quickly transfer it into a container of room temperature water and take measurements of the water's temp as a function of time. The heat lost by the conductor will approximately equal the heat gained by the water and since you know the specific heat of water, you can calculate how much heat is lost as a function of time based on your temperature measurements. Then simply repeat the process with an insulator of similar dimensions and compare your results.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?