Heat of solution for sulfuric acid in water

In summary, the person is asking for help in calculating the enthalpy of solution for sulfuric acid at 30°C/68°F, for concentrations of 0.2, 0.5, and 1 mol/kg. They have attempted to use an enthalpy-concentration diagram but are having trouble interpreting it. They only have the concentration of H2SO4 and water and need to find the theoretical enthalpy of solution for comparison with experimental results.
michristina

Homework Statement

How can I calculate the enthalpy of solution for sulfuric acid at 30°C/68°F, for 0,2;0,5;1 mol/kg?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using a enthalpy-concentration diagram, but I cannot read it. I would apreciate if anyone could help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
what is this diagram you have? what data are you provided with?

This one: http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=cache:sexRAoFSlI4J:www.norfalco.com/documents/NorFalco_H2SO4Property07.pdf+calculate+enthalpy+sulfuric+acid&hl=en&gl=br

The only data I got is the concentration of the solution H2SO4 and water. I needed to find the theoretical enthalpy of solution for this reaction, to compare with the results I got from the experiment.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the heat of solution for sulfuric acid in water?

The heat of solution for sulfuric acid in water is the amount of heat released or absorbed when a certain amount of sulfuric acid is dissolved in a specific amount of water. This value is dependent on the concentration of the solution and the temperature at which the dissolution process takes place.

Why is it important to know the heat of solution for sulfuric acid in water?

Knowing the heat of solution for sulfuric acid in water is important for various reasons. It can help in determining the energy changes that occur during the dissolution process, which is crucial in industries where sulfuric acid is used. It also helps in understanding the behavior of the solution and its potential impact on the environment.

How is the heat of solution for sulfuric acid in water determined?

The heat of solution for sulfuric acid in water is determined by conducting experiments where a known amount of sulfuric acid is dissolved in a known amount of water at a specific temperature. The heat released or absorbed during this process is measured and used to calculate the heat of solution.

What factors can affect the heat of solution for sulfuric acid in water?

The heat of solution for sulfuric acid in water can be affected by various factors such as the concentration of the solution, the temperature at which the dissolution process takes place, and the presence of other substances in the solution. Changes in these factors can result in different values for the heat of solution.

How can the heat of solution for sulfuric acid in water be used in real-life applications?

The heat of solution for sulfuric acid in water has practical applications in industries that use sulfuric acid, such as the production of fertilizers, detergents, and batteries. It can also be used in environmental studies to understand the impact of sulfuric acid on water bodies and its potential for heat generation in chemical reactions.