1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Transfer into a heat reservoir

1. Apr 13, 2013 #1
    I've got a problem with calculating (estimating) how much heat is flowing out of a metal bar in the following system; it seems like it should be simple but I can't see where to go with it.

System:
    A small metal bar with length l=2.5mm, width w=0.2mm, thickness t=0.2μm with resistance R is on a substrate, with the rest of the material open to the air.
    I want to work out what temperature the bar will be with a given current I flowing through it (and conversely what current is needed to maintain it at a temperature T).

My thoughts are to balance the power in and out of the bar.
    I've got
    $$P_{in}=I^2R$$
    $$P_{out}=P_{blackbody} + P_{air} + P_{substrate}$$

I can calculate the blackbody radiation power fine (using an emissivity of 0.1), but I'm not sure how to calculate the conduction into the substrate and air.

I only need an estimate, so I was thinking of ignoring the effects of convection, and just treating the air and the substrate as heat reservoirs.
    This is looking at short timescales (less than 1 second really), so I was thinking of ignoring heating of the air and substrate, assuming that they stay at room temperature.

My main problem comes from the fact that Fourier's law, q=-kdT/dx requires a temperature gradient, which I have no idea how to calculate. Approximating the gradient as ΔT/Δx requires some characteristic length scale, which I'm not sure how to approach.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can estimate this, or point out some flaw in my reasoning (bearing in mind that this is only a rough estimate)?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2013 #2
    Please note that temperature will change the resistance of the conductor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook