Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heating water at 100 °C without coolers?

1. Jan 10, 2012 #1
    hi,

I need to expose metallic material in the WATER for a certain period of time (3, 6 and 12 months) at 100 °C (+/- 5 °C) and normal pressure. Is it possible to do that without using coolers?
    I was thinking of putting the glass vessels in the oven and closing it with some "special" equipment (please, see the attached file). What do you think, would that be safe and secure so the water does not evaporate and the whole system doesn´t explode because of the overpressure?!?!

Regards

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I would not close it tight without a safety valve, you need to take into account possible failure of the thermostat. That is assuming in the first place the vessel you are using is capable of sustaining slight overpressure.

Note that in the case of the blackout you may have quite the opposite problem - implosion instead of explosion.

4. Jan 10, 2012 #3
    Make a double boiler by immersing the glass vessels in boiling water. You could then go ahead and seal the glass vessels tight without concern for overpressure. Just be sure the boiler doesn't run dry.

5. Jan 10, 2012 #4
    I think this metal part around the vessel is preety secure (like some kind of valve), but these red plastic things which are holding the top I-don´t-know-what´s-it-cold :smile: could loosen after a while.
    I am just searching for the easiest way to set up my experiment and it will, obviously, be using the coolers. grrrrrr... It´s not because I need to use the coolers, but it´s because then the whole equipment doesn´t fit in the oven, and therefore I need to use heating mantles and temperature regulators which I don´t have enough!! ..gosh.. :cry:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook