How much water evaporates per minute from a copper pot on a stove?

In summary: The enthalpy of vaporization is not the same as the enthalpy of vaporization, because the vaporization of water results in the liquid water vapor, while vaporizing ethylene results in vapor and heat.
Pao44445

Homework Statement

a copper pot's radius is 12 cm, the thickness is 5 mm. It is placed on the stove for boiling, if the temperature of the stove is 115 oC while the water is 100 oC. How much of water that evaporates per minute

Homework Equations

ΔQ/Δt = (A)(k)(ΔT) / (L)
Q=mcΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I 've calculated the rate of heat transferring in a minute with the first equation and I got the amount of the heat to calculate mass later with the second equation. Does my process correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
The method for calculating the heat per minute going in is correct. You need to rethink the second equation. The water is already at the boiling point so any heat that goes in it cannot raise its temperature. What does it do instead?

kuruman said:
The method for calculating the heat per minute going in is correct. You need to rethink the second equation. The water is already at the boiling point so any heat that goes in it cannot raise its temperature. What does it do instead?
it is changed into gas - steam? I know that when then heat reach the phase change, the temperature won't change anymore. How can I apply this with the second equation? Does the change in temperature still the same at 100oC because if there is no change in the temperature the whole equation will broke down (divided by 0)

You should not be looking at Q=mcΔT. What equation is applicable when you have a phase transition?

Likes Chestermiller
In evaporation all energy absorbed is going to be latent and not sensible. Use this equation q=hfg [J/kg]. hfg represents the enthalpy of evaporation, this means, the specific energy required to go from one side of the dome(saturated liq) to the other side of the dome (saturated steam).

1. What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or medium to another. It can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation.

2. What is a heat transfer problem?

A heat transfer problem is a scenario where there is a temperature difference between two objects or mediums, causing heat to transfer between them. This can be a real-world situation or a theoretical problem used for studying heat transfer.

3. What are the factors that affect heat transfer?

The rate of heat transfer is influenced by several factors, including the temperature difference between the objects, the thermal conductivity of the materials involved, the surface area of contact, and the thickness of the materials.

4. How is heat transfer measured?

The rate of heat transfer is typically measured in units of watts (W) or British thermal units per hour (BTU/hr). This can be done using various instruments such as thermometers, calorimeters, or heat flux sensors.

5. How is heat transfer used in everyday life?

Heat transfer is a fundamental principle in many everyday activities, such as cooking, heating and cooling systems, and transportation. It is also essential in industries such as manufacturing, agriculture, and energy production.