Height/diameter relationship of 19 (H8/D8=19)

In summary: They are trying to find the height and diameter that would result in a cylinder with a volume of approximately 5.0L. The conversation includes a helpful explanation and solution from HallsofIvy. Nelg expresses gratitude for the help and mentions working on an Excel spreadsheet to further explore the equation. In summary, Nelg is seeking assistance in finding the height and diameter of a cylinder with a specific volume and internal height/diameter relationship.
nelg
Hi and thanks for your help in advance Math Help Board Members,

I have this quote:
"The extractor of the 0.1L unit has a volume of 100mL and an internal height/diameter relationship of 19 (H8/D8=19)"

Sorry to sound so silly, but can someone please help me work with this equation?
I would like a cylinder that would hold approximately 5.0L.
What should the Height and Diameter be?

Cheers

🍻 Nelg

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The area of a circle of radius r is \(\displaystyle \pi r^2\). Since the radius is 1/2 the diameter, r= d/2, \(\displaystyle r^2= d^2/4\) so we can write that as \(\displaystyle \pi d^2/4\). A cylinder or diameter d and height h has volume \(\displaystyle \pi d^2h/4\). So we want \(\displaystyle H_8\) and \(\displaystyle D_8\) that satisfy \(\displaystyle \pi D_8^2H_8/4= 5\).
If we also want "an internal height/diameter relationship of \(\displaystyle 19 (H_8/D_8=19)\)" then [tex]H_8= 19D_8[/tex] and \(\displaystyle \pi D_8(19D_8)/4= \frac{19\pi}{4}D_8^2= 5\) so \(\displaystyle D_8^2= \frac{20}{19\pi}\).

WOW...thanks HallsofIvy!
I'm going to need some time to digest your work.
I am in complete awe and thanks! :D

I'm currently trying to create an Excel spreadsheet that will 'spit out' the volume of the cylinder based on H/D=19 relationship.

This could take me a while...I'll keep you posted

:DNelg

1. What does "H8/D8=19" mean in terms of height/diameter relationship?

"H8/D8=19" is a mathematical expression used to represent the ratio between the height (H) and diameter (D) of an object. In this case, the value of 19 indicates that the height is 19 times greater than the diameter.

2. How is the height/diameter relationship of 19 determined?

The height/diameter relationship of 19 is typically determined through measurements of the object's height and diameter. These measurements can be taken manually using tools such as rulers or calipers, or they can be obtained through advanced imaging techniques.

3. What types of objects exhibit a height/diameter relationship of 19?

The height/diameter relationship of 19 can be observed in various natural and man-made objects. For example, certain trees, such as redwoods and sequoias, have a height/diameter ratio close to 19. Additionally, some buildings, such as skyscrapers, may also have a height/diameter ratio of 19 or higher.

4. How does the height/diameter relationship of 19 impact the stability of an object?

The height/diameter relationship of 19 can have a significant impact on the stability of an object. Generally, objects with a higher height/diameter ratio tend to be less stable and more prone to tipping over. This is because the taller the object is, the higher its center of gravity will be, making it more susceptible to external forces.

5. Are there any exceptions to the height/diameter relationship of 19?

While the height/diameter relationship of 19 is a commonly observed ratio, there are exceptions to this rule. Factors such as the shape and density of an object can affect its height/diameter ratio. Additionally, certain objects, such as spheres, may have a height/diameter ratio of 19, but other objects may not follow this exact ratio.