1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Height of fluid and Bernoullis equation

1. May 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An ideal liquid flows horizontally through a pipe of cross sectional area 3cm2 with a velocity 1ms-1. The pipe narrows to a cross sectional area 1cm2. 2 vertical pipes are connected to the pipe, one in either region.
    Calculate the height difference of the liquid between the 2 vertical pipes.

2. Relevant equations

p1 + 0.5ρv12 + ρgh1 = p2 + 0.5ρv22 + ρgh2

A1v1 = A2v2

3. The attempt at a solution

I think i'm a bit confused on what my variables represent in bernoullis equation:
    Using the continuity equation gives v2 = 3ms-1.
    Then I said that for the pipes p1 = p2 (because they're both open to the atmosphere), putting everything into bernoullis equation and rearranging gives
    h1 - h2 = 0.4 m
    The book says the answer is 4x10-3 m.

Am I not allowed to consider the heights of the fluid in the vertical pipe because I calculated the speeds of the fluid in the horizontal pipe? I can't think of any other way to do the problem.

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2013 #2
    Oh sorry nevermind, I got it.
    Turns out the velocity is initially 0.1 ms-1, then doing what I said gives the answer.

:)

4. May 27, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

IMO, the book's answer is wrong.

I see that the OP had missed a decimal in the initial velocity. Book answer is OK.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted