Heiseinbeg's Uncertainty Priciple and Schrodinger's eqt

In summary, the Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle and Schrodinger's Theory are key concepts in understanding the structure of atoms, as the traditional picture of an electron orbiting the nucleus is not accurate at the quantum level. A good resource for learning more about this is http://walet.phy.umist.ac.uk/QM/QM.pdf , and if you have any specific questions, please let us know.
Yh Hoo
Can somebody please explain the basis for the Heiseinberg's Uncertainty Principle and the Schrodinger's Theory or me?
I m confused with the movement of electron in the orbitals and i think these 2 theories are the key.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right that you need quantum mechanics to really understand the structure of atoms. The upshot is that the picture we have of an electron flying in a nice trajectory around the nucleus just doesn't correspond to how nature actually works at these scales.
Explaining this to you, from the beginning, would involve writing at least a good set of lecture notes. I don't know of a particularly good introductory set; maybe try http://walet.phy.umist.ac.uk/QM/QM.pdf [Broken] .

If you get stuck on any particular points, or if you have any more specific questions, let us know!

Last edited by a moderator:
muppet said:
You're right that you need quantum mechanics to really understand the structure of atoms. The upshot is that the picture we have of an electron flying in a nice trajectory around the nucleus just doesn't correspond to how nature actually works at these scales.
Explaining this to you, from the beginning, would involve writing at least a good set of lecture notes. I don't know of a particularly good introductory set; maybe try http://walet.phy.umist.ac.uk/QM/QM.pdf [Broken] .

If you get stuck on any particular points, or if you have any more specific questions, let us know!

Thanks very much.Indeed i still do not have strong base on quantum mechanics! Will ask you question soon !

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a subatomic particle. This means that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa.

2. How does Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle relate to Schrodinger's equation?

Schrodinger's equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles. It takes into account Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle by treating particles as waves with a probability of being in certain locations. This means that we can never know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time, but only the probability of finding it in a certain state.

3. Why is Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle important in quantum mechanics?

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is important because it sets a fundamental limit on our ability to measure and understand the behavior of subatomic particles. It shows that there is a fundamental randomness and unpredictability in the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. Can Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle be violated?

No, Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and has been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments. It is not possible to violate this principle.

5. How does Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle impact our daily lives?

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle may seem like it only applies to the microscopic world, but it actually has a significant impact on our daily lives. It is the reason why we cannot predict the exact behavior of systems, such as the weather, and it also plays a role in the development of technologies such as computer memory and GPS systems.