Robertson uncertainty relation for the angular momentum components

In summary, the conversation discusses the Robertson uncertainty relation for the components of orbital angular momentum in the quantum domain. It is important to consider the triviality problem, where a commutator of zero leads to a product of standard deviations of zero, meaning there is no information about one of the observables. However, there is no angle operator that satisfies the necessary relation for applying the Robertson uncertainty relation in this context. The speaker is seeking clarification or an example on this matter.
Yan Campo
TL;DR Summary
I would like any explanation about Robertson the uncertainty relation for the angular momentum components and compatibility between the components
I'm studying orbital angular momentum in the quantum domain, and I've come up with the Robertson uncertainty relation for the components of orbital angular momentum. Therefore, I read that it is necessary to pay attention to the triviality problem, because in the case where the commutator is zero, the product of the standard deviations is zero, so the variance is also zero. This means that we don't have information about one of the observables and, therefore, we don't know the incompatibility between the two, I think. But, I can't see any kind of problem in using the Robertson uncertainty relation in the orbital angular momentum components. Can anyone explain to me, or give me an example about this? I really want to understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am afraid there is no angle operator such that
[tex][\hat{\theta},\hat{L}]=i\hbar[/tex]
to which we apply Roberson uncertainty relation.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Yan, the Robertson uncertainty principle is regarding two operator have a common complete set of eigenfunctions, i.e., in such basis both operators are diagonal. This is usually expressed, for example, as

$$\Delta A\Delta B \geq \frac{1}{2}\left | \int \psi^{*}[A,B]\psi d\tau\right |$$

But, in the case of angular momentum components, it does not mean that some of the eigenfunctions of ##L_{z}## cannot also be simultaneous eigenfunctions of ##L_{x}## and ##L_{y}##. See the case of ##Y_{0}^{0}(\theta,\phi)## spherical harmonic. In such case, it is allowed to have ##\Delta L_{x} = 0##, ##\Delta L_{y} = 0## and ##\Delta L_{z} = 0##.