Heisenberg Equations of Motion, Solving for S(t) in Spin Precession problem

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 20K views
logic smogic
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
Problem
Consider the spin precession problem in the Heisenberg picture. Using the Hamiltonian

[tex]H=-\omega S_{z}[/tex]

where
[tex]\omega=\frac{eB}{mc}[/tex]

write the Heisenberg equations of motion for the time dependent operators [tex]S_{x}(t)[/tex], [tex]S_{y}(t)[/tex], and [tex]S_{z}(t)[/tex]. Solve them to obtain [tex]\vec{S}[/tex] as a function of t.

Formulae

[tex]\frac{d A_{H}}{dt}=\frac{1}{\imath \hbar}[A_{H}, H][/tex]

[tex]A_{H}=U^{\dagger}A_{S}U[/tex]

[tex]U=e^{\frac{-\imath H t}{\hbar}}[/tex]

Attempt
Well, computing the Heisenberg equations is pretty straitforward:

[tex]\frac{d S_{x}}{dt}=\frac{1}{\imath \hbar}[S_{x}, -\omega S_{z}]<br /> =-\frac{\omega}{\imath \hbar}[S_{x},S_{z}]<br /> =\omega S_{y}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d S_{y}}{dt}=\frac{1}{\imath \hbar}[S_{y}, -\omega S_{z}]<br /> =-\frac{\omega}{\imath \hbar}[S_{y},S_{z}]<br /> =-\omega S_{x}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d S_{z}}{dt}=\frac{1}{\imath \hbar}[S_{z}, -\omega S_{z}]<br /> =-\frac{\omega}{\imath \hbar}[S_{z},S_{z}]<br /> =0[/tex]

But when it comes to solving for a function of t, I’m stuck with extra constants. My method here is to differentiate [tex]S_{x}[/tex] twice, and then solve the resulting differential equation.

[tex]\frac{d^{2}S_{x}}{dt^{2}}=-\omega^{2} S_{x}[/tex]

[tex]S_{x} = C_{1} e^{\imath \omega t}+C_{2} e^{-\imath \omega t}[/tex]

What “initial/boundary conditions” do I use to determine the two constants above? Normalization of some sort?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Normalization isn't the issue. Since initial conditions aren't specified, you should take them to just be Si(0) (i=x,y,z), so that C1+C2=Sx(0). Can you see how to get C1-C2 from what you have so far?
 
I'm not quite sure.

I know of [tex]S_{x}[/tex] as,

[tex]S_{x} = \frac{\hbar}{2} \sigma_{x}[/tex]

...but I'm not sure how that helps, considering both C's are complex coefficients, not operators, matrices, or vectors. At t=0, would S_x have any value at all, wouldn't it be zero considering the Hamiltonian? I was never really comfortable with spin...

If [tex]S_{x}(t=0) = 0[/tex], then I suppose...
[tex]C_{1} =-C_{2}[/tex]
And perhaps we could set C_1 equal to 1 or hbar/2?
 
logic smogic said:
Attempt
Well, computing the Heisenberg equations is pretty straitforward:

[tex]\frac{d S_{x}}{dt}=\frac{1}{\imath \hbar}[S_{x}, -\omega S_{z}]<br /> =-\frac{\omega}{\imath \hbar}[S_{x},S_{z}]<br /> =\omega S_{y}[/tex]...(1)


But when it comes to solving for a function of t, I’m stuck with extra constants. My method here is to differentiate [tex]S_{x}[/tex] twice, and then solve the resulting differential equation.

[tex]\frac{d^{2}S_{x}}{dt^{2}}=-\omega^{2} S_{x}[/tex]

[tex]S_{x} = C_{1} e^{\omega t}+C_{2} e^{-\omega t}[/tex]...(2)

What “initial/boundary conditions” do I use to determine the two constants above? Normalization of some sort?

I think your eq. (2) should read

[tex]S_{x}(t) = C_{1} e^{i\omega t}+C_{2} e^{-i\omega t}[/tex]

It is more convenient to rewrite it as

[tex]S_{x}(t) = A \cos(\omega t) + B \sin(\omega t)[/tex]

Supposedly you know the operator of spin at t=0 [itex]S_{x}(0), S_{y}(0), S_{z}(0)[/itex]. Then you obtain

[tex]A = S_{x}(0)[/tex]

and from eq. (1)

[tex]B = \omega^{-1} d/dt [S_{x}(0)] = S_y(0)[/tex]

So, the full solution is

[tex]S_{x}(t) = S_x(0) \cos(\omega t) + S_y(0) \sin(\omega t)[/tex]

Eugene.
 
Oh yes, forgot the i's. All fixed now.

Using Euler's Formula and Eq. 1 to find B is very instructive. Thanks.
Clearly, the vector precesses around the z-axis, as there's no change in S_z, and does so in an elliptical manner based on S_x(0) and S_y(0).

We are not given S_i(0) for i=x,y,z. That is, I have given you all the information. I presume we cannot find them from the nature of the particle (and the subject of spin precession in a B-field, in general)? If so, I'll just leave them as is.