Heisenberg Equations of Motion, Solving for S(t) in Spin Precession problem

In summary, the Heisenberg equations of motion for the time dependent operators S_{x}(t), S_{y}(t), and S_{z}(t) are given by,\frac{d A_{H}}{dt}=\frac{1}{\imath \hbar}[A_{H}, H]A_{H}=U^{\dagger}A_{S}UU=e^{\frac{-\imath H t}{\hbar}}Differentiating twice and solving for S_{x}(t), S_{y}(t), and S_{z}(t) yields,\frac
logic smogic
Problem
Consider the spin precession problem in the Heisenberg picture. Using the Hamiltonian

[tex]H=-\omega S_{z}[/tex]

where
[tex]\omega=\frac{eB}{mc}[/tex]

write the Heisenberg equations of motion for the time dependent operators [tex]S_{x}(t)[/tex], [tex]S_{y}(t)[/tex], and [tex]S_{z}(t)[/tex]. Solve them to obtain [tex]\vec{S}[/tex] as a function of t.

Formulae

[tex]\frac{d A_{H}}{dt}=\frac{1}{\imath \hbar}[A_{H}, H][/tex]

[tex]A_{H}=U^{\dagger}A_{S}U[/tex]

[tex]U=e^{\frac{-\imath H t}{\hbar}}[/tex]

Attempt
Well, computing the Heisenberg equations is pretty straitforward:

[tex]\frac{d S_{x}}{dt}=\frac{1}{\imath \hbar}[S_{x}, -\omega S_{z}]
=-\frac{\omega}{\imath \hbar}[S_{x},S_{z}]
=\omega S_{y}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d S_{y}}{dt}=\frac{1}{\imath \hbar}[S_{y}, -\omega S_{z}]
=-\frac{\omega}{\imath \hbar}[S_{y},S_{z}]
=-\omega S_{x}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d S_{z}}{dt}=\frac{1}{\imath \hbar}[S_{z}, -\omega S_{z}]
=-\frac{\omega}{\imath \hbar}[S_{z},S_{z}]
=0[/tex]

But when it comes to solving for a function of t, I’m stuck with extra constants. My method here is to differentiate [tex]S_{x}[/tex] twice, and then solve the resulting differential equation.

[tex]\frac{d^{2}S_{x}}{dt^{2}}=-\omega^{2} S_{x}[/tex]

[tex]S_{x} = C_{1} e^{\imath \omega t}+C_{2} e^{-\imath \omega t}[/tex]

What “initial/boundary conditions” do I use to determine the two constants above? Normalization of some sort?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Normalization isn't the issue. Since initial conditions aren't specified, you should take them to just be Si(0) (i=x,y,z), so that C1+C2=Sx(0). Can you see how to get C1-C2 from what you have so far?

I'm not quite sure.

I know of [tex]S_{x}[/tex] as,

[tex]S_{x} = \frac{\hbar}{2} \sigma_{x}[/tex]

...but I'm not sure how that helps, considering both C's are complex coefficients, not operators, matrices, or vectors. At t=0, would S_x have any value at all, wouldn't it be zero considering the Hamiltonian? I was never really comfortable with spin...

If [tex]S_{x}(t=0) = 0[/tex], then I suppose...
[tex]C_{1} =-C_{2}[/tex]
And perhaps we could set C_1 equal to 1 or hbar/2?

logic smogic said:
Attempt
Well, computing the Heisenberg equations is pretty straitforward:

[tex]\frac{d S_{x}}{dt}=\frac{1}{\imath \hbar}[S_{x}, -\omega S_{z}]
=-\frac{\omega}{\imath \hbar}[S_{x},S_{z}]
=\omega S_{y}[/tex]...(1)

But when it comes to solving for a function of t, I’m stuck with extra constants. My method here is to differentiate [tex]S_{x}[/tex] twice, and then solve the resulting differential equation.

[tex]\frac{d^{2}S_{x}}{dt^{2}}=-\omega^{2} S_{x}[/tex]

[tex]S_{x} = C_{1} e^{\omega t}+C_{2} e^{-\omega t}[/tex]...(2)

What “initial/boundary conditions” do I use to determine the two constants above? Normalization of some sort?

I think your eq. (2) should read

[tex]S_{x}(t) = C_{1} e^{i\omega t}+C_{2} e^{-i\omega t}[/tex]

It is more convenient to rewrite it as

[tex]S_{x}(t) = A \cos(\omega t) + B \sin(\omega t) [/tex]

Supposedly you know the operator of spin at t=0 [itex] S_{x}(0), S_{y}(0), S_{z}(0)[/itex]. Then you obtain

[tex]A = S_{x}(0) [/tex]

and from eq. (1)

[tex]B = \omega^{-1} d/dt [S_{x}(0)] = S_y(0)[/tex]

So, the full solution is

[tex]S_{x}(t) = S_x(0) \cos(\omega t) + S_y(0) \sin(\omega t) [/tex]

Eugene.

Oh yes, forgot the i's. All fixed now.

Using Euler's Formula and Eq. 1 to find B is very instructive. Thanks.
Clearly, the vector precesses around the z-axis, as there's no change in S_z, and does so in an elliptical manner based on S_x(0) and S_y(0).

We are not given S_i(0) for i=x,y,z. That is, I have given you all the information. I presume we cannot find them from the nature of the particle (and the subject of spin precession in a B-field, in general)? If so, I'll just leave them as is.

1. What are the Heisenberg Equations of Motion?

The Heisenberg Equations of Motion are a set of equations used in quantum mechanics to describe the time evolution of quantum mechanical operators. They are named after Werner Heisenberg, one of the founders of quantum mechanics.

2. What is the spin precession problem in quantum mechanics?

The spin precession problem refers to the phenomenon where the spin of a particle, such as an electron, appears to be rotating or precessing around an external magnetic field. This behavior cannot be explained by classical physics and is a key concept in quantum mechanics.

3. How do you solve for S(t) in the spin precession problem using the Heisenberg Equations of Motion?

To solve for S(t) in the spin precession problem using the Heisenberg Equations of Motion, you first need to determine the Hamiltonian of the system. Then, you can use the Heisenberg Equations of Motion to calculate the time evolution of the spin operator and solve for S(t).

4. What is the significance of solving for S(t) in the spin precession problem?

Solving for S(t) in the spin precession problem allows us to understand the behavior of spin in a quantum mechanical system. It also has practical applications, such as in the development of quantum computers and other quantum technologies.

5. Are the Heisenberg Equations of Motion the only way to solve for S(t) in the spin precession problem?

No, there are other mathematical approaches to solving for S(t) in the spin precession problem, such as using the Schrödinger equation. However, the Heisenberg Equations of Motion are often preferred for their simplicity and direct connection to the principles of quantum mechanics.