Helicity - Experiment proving CP violation

In summary, the conversation discusses the violation of C and P in the case of neutrinos being left-handed. The spin of the photon and neutrino are also discussed, as well as the conservation of angular momentum. It is mentioned that CP violation is not maximal, but a small effect. The difference between spin and helicity is also briefly mentioned.
vertices
Please look at the attach file.

If we take case a) it proves the C and P are independly violated (neutrinos are left handed)

The component of spin along the direction of motion is:

-1 for the photon (bosons can have spin + or - 1)
-1/2 for the neutrino (fermions can have spin + or - 1/2)

So the total spin along the direction of motion is -3/2 which by the conservation of AM equals the spin of initial electron (the 'reactant' if you will). But this electron can only have a spin of + 1/2 or - 1/2, not -3/2 (or +3/2)!

Can someone explain what I am not managing to understand. Thanks:)

Attachments

• Helicity.pdf
    58.5 KB · Views: 287
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi
vertices said:
Can someone explain what I am not managing to understand.
I can try, but I am not sure what you do not understand ! :smile:
So the total spin along the direction of motion is -3/2 which by the conservation of AM equals the spin of initial electron (the 'reactant' if you will). But this electron can only have a spin of + 1/2 or - 1/2, not -3/2 (or +3/2)!
Let me try to clarify a little bit. Let us consider the decay axis (horizontal in the plot) to be oriented from left to right for definiteness.

Case (a) : initially electron has +1/2, finally photon has +1 and neutrino has -1/2
Case (b) : initially electron has -1/2, finally photon has -1 and neutrino has +1/2

In both cases, the total AM in the final state (photon + neutrino) equals what was originally carried by the electron. Those two possibilities are what AM conservation allows.

Since no neutrino can be right handed, we do not observe (b) in Nature. Neutrinos are always left-handed. Anti-neutrinos are always right-handed. From these facts, we see that indeed, C and P are separately broken, maximally, but the combination CP is respected. CP violation is not maximal at all, it does occur in neutral Kaon system for instance, but it is a minute effect.

thanks humanino :)

I was being really, really silly. I was thinking that the bold arrows represent the helicity vector (it must be a vector, right?) rather than the spins.

BTW, what do you mean by "maximal" in:

"CP violation is not maximal at all, it does occur in neutral Kaon system for instance, but it is a minute effect."

vertices said:
I was thinking that the bold arrows represent the helicity vector (it must be a vector, right?) rather than the spins.
Oh, I'm not going into the difference between spin and helicity :smile:
Helicity is the projection of the spin on the momentum axis.
For massless particles, the spin projection on any axis can only take + or - the spin value.
But helicity and spin are different things for massive particles.
BTW, what do you mean by "maximal" in:

"CP violation is not maximal at all, it does occur in neutral Kaon system for instance, but it is a minute effect."
Parity is maximally violated by weak interactions in the sens that you have only left-handed neutrinos. If there were a small difference between the weak interactions of left-handed and right-handed neutrinos, parity would only be slightly violated.

Another way to say it : take a process involving a left-handed neutrino, say this process occurs 1000 times per second in your experiment. Now take the mirror image of your experiment. If parity where slightly violated, you could find out it occurs 997 times per second. But parity is maximally violated in the sens that the process with the right-handed neutrino does not occur at all, even once in a billion years.

I see, thanks for clearing that up.

1. What is helicity?

Helicity is a measure of the spin orientation of a particle. In particle physics, it refers to the component of the particle's spin that is aligned with its direction of motion.

2. What is CP violation?

CP violation is a phenomenon in particle physics where the laws of physics appear to treat particles and their antiparticles differently. This violation of the combined CP symmetry was first observed in the decay of neutral kaons in the 1960s.

3. How does helicity relate to CP violation?

In particle physics, the study of helicity is important for understanding CP violation. This is because CP violation can be measured by looking at the difference in helicity between a particle and its antiparticle.

4. How is helicity measured in experiments?

Helicity is typically measured by studying the decay products of particles. By analyzing the angular distribution of these decay products, scientists can determine the particles' helicity and determine if there is any CP violation present.

5. What are some examples of experiments that have proven CP violation through helicity measurements?

One example of an experiment that has proven CP violation through helicity measurements is the LHCb experiment at CERN. This experiment studied the decay of B mesons and found evidence of CP violation through differences in their helicity. Other examples include the Belle experiment in Japan and the BaBar experiment at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center.