1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hello~ i have some questions about going to college><

1. May 24, 2008 #1
    I'm a highschool junior right now( yeah!! almost to become a senior).

and, I want to be an architect, yet i'm not sure which kind of architect though..

So i have questions about master degrees and etc.

I've been researching for colleges and I wasn't sure what those mean,

Ph degree , BA, and others. What are those???

My parents both graduated from colleges, but in a different country.

So I have no idea. T.T

What degree(? perhaps?) do i need to acheive to be an official architect??

also, am I considered to be a first generation for college? Since, none of my family

member sgraduated from U.S. college?

Also, i have a subjective(?) question.>< I heard most of the college students change

their major during their college year. Is that true???

I can't think of myself pursuing another profession other than being an architect><

Anywayz, thank you for reading my questions><

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2008 #2
    I know nothing about architecture, but I can answer some of your other questions.

BA/BS (Bachelors of Arts/Sciences): 4 year degree (generally)
    MA/MS (Masters of Arts/Sciences): Typically takes 2 more years after you have your BA/BS
    PhD (Doctorate): Usually takes another 3 or more years after your Masters

If your parents went to college, then I wouldn't consider you "first generation" college.

As for changing your major, I believe it is true that most people do change their major (I changed mine 2 or 3 times). Don't worry about it though, once you start taking more classes you will have a better idea of what you want to do (and if you want to pursue architecture more).

4. May 24, 2008 #3
    Some simple advice. If you plan to be an architect, get some experience drawing and designing before college. Also, be aware that you need to be certified to become a professional architect, so make sure whatever school you go to will help you in your goal.

Also, if you plan to become a top architect, you should plan on a masters degree.

5. Sep 13, 2008 #4
    I still have one year left to finish high school, and I want to start as soon as possible college, of course with a scholarship, so I think I should harry on doing all the paper work and start doing all the exams and other things required, but the thing is that I haven’t found everything I need to know, like where can I do this exams, or where can I get everything that is needed, and the most important thing when should I apply for a visa.

- how many colleges or universities should I apply?

- what kind of visa should I ask for if I want to work there?

- how many grades of the secondary school should I take?
    - in the US high school are 4 years: 9, 10, 11 ,12
    and In Colombia it would be since 6 til 11 but I am not sure ´cuz last year I graduated from 9 grade as basic middle secondary student or something like that. and now I am doing 10 and next year 11 grade so I do not know if this two years are Colombian´s high school and from 6 til 9 is junior?

- what should I do to be a citizen or to be allowed to leave and return to the country the times I want to and my visa doesn’t get expired.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?