Hello,I'm revising half-life for GCSE and have come across some

  • Thread starter Thread starter Molly1235
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gcse Half-life
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Molly1235
Messages
77
Reaction score
4
Hello,
I'm revising half-life for GCSE and have come across some questions regarding fractions.

For example, "what fraction of the original nuclei will still be unstable after 5 half-lives?"

Am I right in thinking it would be 1/20 as 1/2 x 5 = 1/20 or is that too simple?

Thanks,
Molly
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Molly1235 said:
Hello,
I'm revising half-life for GCSE and have come across some questions regarding fractions.

For example, "what fraction of the original nuclei will still be unstable after 5 half-lives?"

Am I right in thinking it would be 1/20 as 1/2 x 5 = 1/20 or is that too simple?

Thanks,
Molly
Yes, that's too simple ... and how is (1/2) × 5 = 1/20 ?

Think about it.

After a time of one half-life, 1/2 of the original nuclei remain unchanged.After a time of an additional half-life, 1/2 of that 1/2 of the original nuclei remain unchanged. This is a total time of two half-lives and 1/4 of the original nuclei remain unchanged.

Etc.
 


Yeah, thank you I just realized I was being stupid. It's 1/32 right?
 


Molly1235 said:
Yeah, thank you I just realized I was being stupid. It's 1/32 right?
Right ! I mean, right, it's 1/32, not right about the other thing!