1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Half life Tc-99m injected into a patient

1. Apr 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A patient comes into the hospital for a bone scan and is injected with a dye containing Tc-99m. The half-life of Tc-99m is 6.03 h. What fraction of the original technetium will remain the patient 36 h after the procedure if radioactive decay is the only means by which it is removed?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Af = Ao (1/2)t/h
    Af = 99 (1/2)36/6.03
    Af = 1.579214746

1.57921476 / 98 = 0.016

0.016 x 100 = 1.6 %

I am getting 1.6 % but the answer key states the answer as 0.016 %. What am I doing wrong. Is the m after Tc-99m play a role in this that I'm missing?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. Assume the original amount of TC-99 which is injected is 1.

4. Apr 28, 2013 #3
    But if its a ratio why does it matter what value I put in for the original amount? For example, for every other question involving half life I have used the amu given, i.e. Aluminium-30 I used 30 amu as the original and it always gives the right answer. So what is so unique about this question?

5. Apr 28, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"What fraction of the original technetium will remain ... after 36 hours ..." So if the original amount of the sample is 100% of the total amount injected, then what fraction will remain after 36 hours have elapsed?

6. Apr 28, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why are you substituting 99 there? That's not the amount of radioactive material. You want Af/Ao, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted