Help a science noob: What is a meson?

In summary, a meson is a type of subatomic particle made up of one quark and one antiquark that is held together by the strong interaction. They have a physical size and are unstable, with the longest-lived mesons lasting only a few hundredths of a microsecond. Charged mesons can decay into electrons and neutrinos, while neutral mesons may decay into photons. To better understand mesons, you may want to read the simplified version of the Wikipedia article on mesons.
sciencenoob
Hello, first post.

I am trying to understand what a meson is. I have googled this and looked at both the wiki page and several intro physics presentations, but the concept is eluding me.

Could someone please explain what a meson is?

Thanks,
sciencenoob

Physics news on Phys.org
sciencenoob said:
Hello, first post.

I am trying to understand what a meson is. I have googled this and looked at both the wiki page and several intro physics presentations, but the concept is eluding me.

Could someone please explain what a meson is?

Thanks,
sciencenoob

What exactly did you find and what did you not understand? Without you telling us that, we might give you the very same information that you could not comprehend.

Zz.

Thanks ZapperZ for the reply. I am essentially trying to translate the below into English so that a non-science person with no physics background can understand it. I don't really understand any of this, actually. Is a meson a subparticle that is, in turn, bound together by other subparticles, and which somehow combines with something to create larger particles? It seems to be some kind of building block but I do not understand the relationship, further confused by the fact that they are "unstable" and "last only a few hundredths of a microsecond." Thank you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meson

In particle physics, mesons (/ˈmiːzɒnz/ or /ˈmɛzɒnz/) are hadronic subatomic particles composed of one quark and one antiquark, bound together by the strong interaction. Because mesons are composed of sub-particles, they have a physical size, with a radius roughly one femtometre, which is about 2⁄3 the size of a proton or neutron. All mesons are unstable, with the longest-lived lasting for only a few hundredths of a microsecond. Charged mesons decay (sometimes through intermediate particles) to form electrons and neutrinos. Uncharged mesons may decay to photons.

Sure, I'd be happy to help explain what a meson is. A meson is a type of subatomic particle that is made up of a quark and an antiquark. Quarks are the building blocks of protons and neutrons, which make up the nucleus of an atom. Mesons are classified as "bosons," which means they have integer spin, and they are also considered "hadrons," which means they are composed of quarks. Mesons are unstable particles and typically only exist for a very short amount of time before decaying into other particles. They play a crucial role in the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for holding the nucleus of an atom together. I hope this helps to clarify the concept of mesons for you. Let me know if you have any other questions. Keep exploring and learning about the fascinating world of science!

1. What is a meson?

A meson is a subatomic particle that is composed of a quark and an antiquark. It has a mass between that of a proton and an electron, and is classified as a type of hadron.

2. How was the meson discovered?

The meson was first predicted by physicists Hideki Yukawa in 1935, based on his theory of nuclear forces. It was later discovered in 1947 by Cecil Powell and his team through their experiments with cosmic rays.

3. What are the properties of a meson?

Mesons have a spin of either 0 or 1 and a total angular momentum of 1. They are also unstable particles, meaning they decay into other particles within a short period of time.

4. What is the role of mesons in nuclear interactions?

Mesons play a vital role in nuclear interactions as they are responsible for mediating the strong nuclear force that binds protons and neutrons together in an atomic nucleus. Without mesons, atoms and matter as we know it would not exist.

5. How are mesons used in scientific research?

Mesons are used in particle accelerators and other high-energy experiments to study the fundamental forces and interactions in the universe. They are also used in medical applications, such as proton therapy, for the treatment of cancer.