Positron/Proton Scattering Weak Charged Current

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of drawing a Feynman diagram for a weak charged current scattering interaction of a positron and a proton. There is confusion about whether the diagram should conserve lepton number and if other particles can be produced in the products. It is mentioned that the first interaction in the diagram is incorrect and should have an anti-neutrino instead of a neutrino. The possibility of a box diagram with two W particles is also mentioned, but it is considered negligible compared to the simple photon exchange.
jeffbarrington
Hello,

I'm wondering how you would go about drawing a Feynman diagram for a weak charged current scattering interaction of a positron and a proton. I have attached a diagram of what I have tried but it doesn't conserve lepton number (I think this is a problem, from what I gather non-conservation of lepton number is fringe stuff). It started out with a lepton number of -1 and finishes with +1.

Gijpo1B.png

I know it is possible to draw a p/e+ scattering diagram, the question I am looking at asks for one. Would scattering imply that you get e+ and p coming back out, possibly with other particles so long as no conservation laws are violated? Would it still be 'scattering' if one or both of these is missing from the products, say I got a neutron or some mesons coming out instead of a proton?

Thanks

edit - oh I'm dumb the first neutrino given off should be an antineutrino. Never mind. Anyway, is this what you'd draw as a diagram or is there something simpler?

Physics news on Phys.org
While that is a possible diagram (with the fixed neutrino->antineutrino of course), it is extremely unlikely, and it is probably not what the problem asked for. The first half is a charged current interaction already, there is no need to produce an additional electron/neutrino pair.

The first interaction is not correct, the arrow on the neutrino line is in the wrong direction. The outgoing neutrino should be an anti-neutrino.

mfb said:
While that is a possible diagram (with the fixed neutrino->antineutrino of course), it is extremely unlikely, and it is probably not what the problem asked for. The first half is a charged current interaction already, there is no need to produce an additional electron/neutrino pair.

Thanks, so yeah I was thinking how unlikely this would be too. But then again, you would be left with three up quarks which can't form a hadron, something else would have to happen, and I'm not sure what.

uuu can form a hadron.

It is also possible to make a box diagram with two W in the box and proton plus positron in the final state. That is more scattering-like, but it is negligible compared to the simple photon exchange.

mfb said:
uuu can form a hadron.

It is also possible to make a box diagram with two W in the box and proton plus positron in the final state. That is more scattering-like, but it is negligible compared to the simple photon exchange.

Ah, so they do. I hadn't realized the delta^++ was considered as such, thanks. re the box diagram - it's fine that it's suppressed, that's what the question is getting at (it's easy to draw scattering for Z^0 and a photon, the latter of which has highest amplitude as you say).

1. What is Positron/Proton Scattering Weak Charged Current?

Positron/Proton Scattering Weak Charged Current is a type of interaction that occurs between a positron (a positively charged electron) and a proton, mediated by the weak nuclear force. This interaction involves the exchange of a charged W boson, resulting in a change in the charge and flavor of the involved particles.

2. How is Positron/Proton Scattering Weak Charged Current studied?

Positron/Proton Scattering Weak Charged Current is studied using high-energy particle accelerators, which collide a beam of positrons with a target of protons. The scattered particles are then detected and analyzed to determine the properties of the weak charged current interaction.

3. What are the applications of studying Positron/Proton Scattering Weak Charged Current?

Studying Positron/Proton Scattering Weak Charged Current can provide insights into the fundamental nature of matter and the four fundamental forces of nature. It can also help in understanding the structure of protons and the behavior of the weak nuclear force, which is responsible for processes such as beta decay.

4. What is the significance of Positron/Proton Scattering Weak Charged Current in particle physics?

Positron/Proton Scattering Weak Charged Current is one of the key processes studied in particle physics, as it provides important information about the structure and interactions of subatomic particles. It also plays a crucial role in the development and testing of theories such as the Standard Model.

5. How does Positron/Proton Scattering Weak Charged Current differ from other types of scattering processes?

Positron/Proton Scattering Weak Charged Current differs from other types of scattering processes, such as electron-proton scattering, in that it involves the exchange of a charged W boson. This results in a change in the charge and flavor of the involved particles, making it a unique and important process to study in particle physics.