Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help! Building Simple Pipe Bend (Experiment)

Tags:
  1. Jul 17, 2014 #1
    So as a side project for my professor, I'm supposed to
    1) build a recirculating simple pipe bend
    2) experiment and get data
    3) do hand calculations via fluids equations (Bernoulli)
    4) simulate with solidworks
    5) compare results

Restrictions: budget and availability of finding products. Thinking of getting everything at Home Depot/Lowe's. Design can be anything but pipes at least 3" dia.

It sounds simple, but I had to research crazily to understand how to make this all work. If anyone can give suggestions/advice/revisions on improving any part of the steps, I would really, really, appreciate it

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2lc6vlw&s=8#.
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2lc6vlw&s=8#.U8hi4vldX9N
    A very rough rendering of what I have in mind. The pipes would be raised and propped on a PVC frame. The pipes would be within ~3.5'x3.5'x3.'5 box size

1) Which submersible pump to use? Maybe 500gpm?

2) How to connect pump to pipe?

3) Suggestions on which simulation program to use? I only have FloXpress on Solidworks. Tried to use Autodesk CFD, but somehow my SW works don't load to CFD. I don't have Flow Simulation :(

Thank you so much! I shall be waiting desperately for replies.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

4. Aug 3, 2014 #3
    Recommend using Menards for supplies in area. Pricing may be more favorable. Need more information to help, but 500 gpm is very large pump, also with 3" pipe the velocity will be somewhat high, about 22 - 24 feet per second. Not sure if you want to pump a fluid in a circle until the pump explodes or what? Is there an equivalent electrical circuit that would explain what you intend? Where is work dissipated? What you've described so far in a circuit sounds like you want to dead short a large battery.

5. Sep 12, 2014 #4
    Take a step back.

First, what is the objective of this? It sounds like you are just setting up a pump to recirculate water.
    Second, what pump rate do you want for this. 500 gpm is a lot and takes a lot of horse power. Set your flow rate to a little above what you need for the experiment to demonstrate what ever you need.
    third, I would look at a basic electric sump pump. They usually have a 2 inch threaded fitting and you can adapt it to 3 inch if needed. I doubt though you need more than 20-30 gpm and a 2 inch PVC pipe.
    fourth, you better have something supporting the pipe or you will have a problem. even a 20 gpm flow will want to push the pipe around.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook