Help critique my problem solving and thinking process (problem included)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem-solving approach for a climber with a weight of 533.8 N held by a belay rope on a vertical wall. The problem relies on using a math-based approach rather than just conceptual thinking. The conversation suggests resolving forces in x and y directions and taking moments to solve for unknowns. It also highlights the importance of choosing an appropriate point for resolving forces to simplify the equations. The conversation ends with a hint to solve for tension in the moment equation.
ryley
Homework Statement
I'm having difficulty seeing how to take math and apply it to the situation. Or recognizing when I can use a technique.
Relevant Equations
Fnetx=0
Fnety=0
Fnetz=0
Hello all, thanks for reading my post! I'm posting as I need help with my problem solving and thinking approach. For the most part I can figure out how to set up the problem and what I need to find, but my problem lies in textbook questions that rely more on seeing a more math based approach to solving rather than thinking about the concepts. What I mean is, the concepts are easy to see but minimal information is given leaving multiple variables and so methods like substitution are needed as well as other algebraic techniques. I'll post a question that this applies to and show my thinking process as well as a diagram. If anyone is able to help me identify what exactly it is I'm doing wrong so as to help me determine a solution to a problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Question

A climber with a weight of 533.8 N is held by a belay rope connected to her climbing harness and belay device; the force of the rope on her has a line of action through her center of mass. The indicated angles are 30 degrees(top) and 40 degrees(bottom). If her feet are on the verge of slipping on the vertical wall, what is the coefficient of static friction between her climbing shoes and the wall?

First thoughts
- I will need to sum the forces in x and y directions as well as torques.
- doing this yields a few unknowns and I can't seem to see a way to solve for one and sub it in or equate any of them.
- I think It will be best to use her foot contacting the wall as the origin to eliminate the Fs and FN from the torque equations, but that still leaves me with tension as an unknown.
- The force net equations also have unknowns that I can't see a way to solve for.

This Is where I get stuck and can't see a way to solve for what I need as its not about applying concepts anymore instead it is more math. The solution shows to use some substitution as well as equating two equations, this isn't the hard part to solve as I can do the algebra but its seeing that, that is what I'm suppose to do that I'm having trouble realizing.

I'll attach a picture of the diagram as well as the solution.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• climber solution.gif
    climber solution.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 281
  • climber diagram.jpg
    climber diagram.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 285
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for some help! For the coefficient I'd need in this case the Normal force of her shoes on the wall to solve for Fs and I think tension in order to solve one of the equations that has one of the unknowns I need for the friction coefficient. I see the components I need, like Fs FN and Tension but how to set up equations to solve I don't see.

ryley said:
Hello all, thanks for reading my post! I'm posting as I need help with my problem solving and thinking approach. For the most part I can figure out how to set up the problem and what I need to find, but my problem lies in textbook questions that rely more on seeing a more math based approach to solving rather than thinking about the concepts.

So a general mantra for these simpler mechanics problems is "Resolve, Resolve, take Moments". The first step is to get these equations. You can resolve in x, resolve in y, and take moments about an appropriate point. Note that a system of three equations can let you solve three unknowns, not more.

ryley said:
- I think It will be best to use her foot contacting the wall as the origin to eliminate the Fs and FN from the torque equations, but that still leaves me with tension as an unknown.

Good thinking. Yes, that leaves you with an unknown, but can you solve for it? Write out the moment equation and see if you can solve for tension. (HINT: you can)

You have also highlighted another good tip- resolve at a point where you can get rid of lots of forces. We want to make it easy for us to solve, so we want as few variables as possible.

This problem doesn't require much algebra when you write out the equations.

Hope that is of some help.

Likes ryley
Master1022 said:
So a general mantra for these simpler mechanics problems is "Resolve, Resolve, take Moments". The first step is to get these equations. You can resolve in x, resolve in y, and take moments about an appropriate point. Note that a system of three equations can let you solve three unknowns, not more.
Good thinking. Yes, that leaves you with an unknown, but can you solve for it? Write out the moment equation and see if you can solve for tension. (HINT: you can)

You have also highlighted another good tip- resolve at a point where you can get rid of lots of forces. We want to make it easy for us to solve, so we want as few variables as possible.

This problem doesn't require much algebra when you write out the equations.

Hope that is of some help.
Thanks for the help, I think I need to stick with the problem a bit longer, the solution just seemed to use a lot of techniques that don't dawn on my immediately, so maybe sticking with it for a little longer will help me to see clearer a way to solve.

ryley said:
It will be best to use her foot contacting the wall as the origin to eliminate the Fs and FN from the torque equations,
That can be best, but not here. You need the relationship between those two forces in order to find the coefficient. What you would rather not have to care about is the tension. What does that suggest for an axis?

haruspex said:
That can be best, but not here. You need the relationship between those two forces in order to find the coefficient. What you would rather not have to care about is the tension. What does that suggest for an axis?
Interesting, okay so you are asking which point should I use as the pivot to eliminate tension? if that's the case then I would think using the climbers center of mass as that would be where tension would have a moment arm of zero. Thanks!

Likes hutchphd and PeroK
I looked at the solution you posted. Note that ##\cos(90- x) = \sin x## and ##\sin(180 - x) = \sin x##.

1. What is the purpose of having someone critique my problem solving and thinking process?

The purpose of having someone critique your problem solving and thinking process is to gain an outside perspective and potentially identify areas for improvement. By receiving constructive feedback, you can enhance your problem solving skills and thought processes for future challenges.

2. How can I effectively present my problem for critique?

To effectively present your problem for critique, make sure to clearly define the problem and provide all necessary information. It may also be helpful to explain the steps you have taken so far in trying to solve the problem. This will give the person critiquing a better understanding of your thought process.

3. What should I look for in a person to critique my problem solving and thinking process?

Look for someone who has a strong understanding of problem solving and critical thinking skills. They should also be able to provide constructive criticism and communicate their feedback effectively. It may also be helpful to seek someone who is familiar with the specific problem or subject matter.

4. How can I use feedback from a critique to improve my problem solving and thinking process?

Take the critiques you receive and use them to reflect on your problem solving and thinking process. Consider the suggestions and try to implement them in future problem solving situations. It's important to be open to feedback and continuously strive to improve.

5. How can I ensure that my problem solving and thinking process remains objective during a critique?

One way to ensure objectivity during a critique is to present the problem and your thought process in a clear and organized manner. This will allow the person critiquing to focus on the problem itself without being influenced by any biases or personal opinions. It's also important to listen to feedback with an open mind and consider all perspectives.