Help elastic head-on collision

In summary, for a 3.42g object moving to the right at 16.4 cm/s and an initially at rest 6.84g object, an elastic head-on collision occurs. To find the velocity of the first object immediately after the collision, the equation M1v1i+M2V2i=M1V1f+M2V2f can be used. However, another equation is needed to solve for the two unknowns (v_1 and v_2). In elastic collisions, both energy and momentum are conserved. Therefore, additional equations can be written for the conservation of energy and momentum.
snowbelle
a 3.42g object moving to the right at 16.4 cm/s makes an elastic head-on collision with a 6.84g object that is initially at rest. find the velocity of the first object immediately after collision. Answer in units of cm/s. What fraction of the initial kinetic energy is transferred to the 6.84g object?

I don't understand how to do this problem. I think for the first part is it
M1v1i+M2V2i=M1V1f+M2V2f
and I am lost after that. I completely don't get part 2

Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed, you have:
[tex]P_{\rm{initial}}=P_{\rm{final}}[/itex]
which gives you one equation.

But, you have two unknowns ([itex]v_1[/itex] and [itex]v_2[/itex]), so you'll need another equation. What do you know about elastic collisions?

energy and momentum is conserved in elastic collisions?

snowbelle said:
energy and momentum is conserved in elastic collisions?

Right. The equation you have listed only deals with momentum.

hmm i still don't get it

snowbelle said:
hmm i still don't get it

Can you write expressions for the total kinetic energy before and after the collision?

What is an elastic head-on collision?

An elastic head-on collision is a type of collision where two objects collide directly with each other and there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the objects before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

What factors affect the outcome of an elastic head-on collision?

The outcome of an elastic head-on collision is affected by the mass and velocity of the objects involved. The larger the mass and the faster the velocity, the more force will be exerted during the collision.

How is the momentum conserved in an elastic head-on collision?

In an elastic head-on collision, the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

What is the difference between an elastic and an inelastic head-on collision?

In an elastic head-on collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy and the objects bounce off each other. In an inelastic head-on collision, there is a loss of kinetic energy and the objects stick together after the collision.

How do you calculate the velocities of the objects after an elastic head-on collision?

The velocities of the objects after an elastic head-on collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy equations. These equations take into account the mass and velocity of the objects before and after the collision.