1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collision and Momentum of Blocks

1. Nov 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If block A slides with a velocity into block B which is at rest, and after this collision block B ends up with a velocity and block A is stationary after. Block B has a mass of 5m.

Would this type of collision be an elastic collision or inelastic? How do you know?

What would the velocity of block B be after the collision?

2. Relevant equations
    M1V1i+M2V2i=M1V1f+M2V2f

3. The attempt at a solution
    I
    'm pretty sure this is an elastic collision problem because it seems as though the momentum is conserved and transferred from block A to block B.

This is what i did to figure the velocity of block b after the collision-
    MVi+5MVi=MVf+5MVf
    MVi+0=0+5MVf
    MVi=5MVf
    Vf=Vi/5

But i'm not sure if this is right or what I could do differently..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Momentum will certainly be conserved, but that does not make it elastic. In an elastic collision KE is conserved.
    Can you work out whether KE is conserved?
    Yes, although the question statements reads as though you left something out. Should it say "If block A slides with a velocity v into block B...", or somesuch? If so, you should use the same name for the given velocity in the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted