Help eliminating parameter for harmonic trig combination

In summary: I would say that you are trying to do something that is "too complicated". I don't know what you think you are trying to do but I would try to find another way of doing it. A good first step would be to tell us what the original problem is, so that we might be able to help you with some other approach.In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to eliminate the parameter t in the combination of two harmonic sound waves, resulting in a general ellipse equation. The initial approach involves changing the forms of the equations and expanding the cosine term, but after several hours of trying, the speaker is unable to eliminate t and arrives at redundant answers. They also mention trying to work backwards from the given equation, but it is not clear
harmonic_lens
Hey guys, I'm reading the Theory of Sound and I've come to a part in which I'm having trouble double-checking the algebra.

Suppose we have two harmonic sound waves of equal amplitude traveling directly perpendicular to each other.

\begin{align} u=acos(2πnt-ε) && v=bcos(2πnt) \end{align}

They may then combine if t is eliminated to form the general ellipse:

\begin{equation} \frac{u^2}{a^2}+\frac{v^2}{b^2}-\frac{2uv}{ab}cos(ε)-\sin^2{ε}=0 \end{equation}

My initial approach was to change forms to:

\begin{align} \frac{u}{a}=cos(2πnt-ε) && \frac{v}{b}=cos(2πnt) \end{align}

and then expand the cosine term in the u equation, trying to eventually mold its transcendental functions into forms of \begin{equation} cos(2πnt) \end{equation} so I may then substitute in as \begin{equation} \frac{v}{b} \end{equation}

After a few hours of expansion and resubstitution, I keep arriving at redundant answers. I tried working backwards from the equation given by changing forms to

\begin{equation} \frac{u^2}{a^2}+\frac{v^2}{b^2}-\frac{2uv}{ab}cos(ε)-(1-\cos^2{ε})=0 \end{equation}

and then I tried factoring, but I don't think this is the right approach.

If anyone has experience with combining transcendental functions and their relations to conics, any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
~HL

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
harmonic_lens said:
Hey guys, I'm reading the Theory of Sound and I've come to a part in which I'm having trouble double-checking the algebra.

Suppose we have two harmonic sound waves of equal amplitude traveling directly perpendicular to each other.

\begin{align} u=acos(2πnt-ε) && v=bcos(2πnt) \end{align}

Those aren't of equal amplitude unless ##a = b##, if that matters.

They may then combine if t is eliminated to form the general ellipse:

\begin{equation} \frac{u^2}{a^2}+\frac{v^2}{b^2}-\frac{2uv}{ab}cos(ε)-\sin^2{ε}=0 \end{equation}

Is that what you are trying to verify?

My initial approach was to change forms to:

\begin{align} \frac{u}{a}=cos(2πnt-ε) && \frac{v}{b}=cos(2πnt) \end{align}

and then expand the cosine term in the u equation, trying to eventually mold its transcendental functions into forms of \begin{equation} cos(2πnt) \end{equation} so I may then substitute in as \begin{equation} \frac{v}{b} \end{equation}

After a few hours of expansion and resubstitution, I keep arriving at redundant answers. I tried working backwards from the equation given by changing forms to

\begin{equation} \frac{u^2}{a^2}+\frac{v^2}{b^2}-\frac{2uv}{ab}cos(ε)-(1-\cos^2{ε})=0 \end{equation}

and then I tried factoring, but I don't think this is the right approach.

If anyone has experience with combining transcendental functions and their relations to conics, any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

~HL

You are aware that ##1-\cos^2\epsilon = \sin^2\epsilon##, right? That can't be what is bothering you...?

Those aren't of equal amplitude unless a=b, if that matters.

I apologize, I wrote it down wrong. The most general form of the combination assumes a general ellipse for harmonic waves of differing amplitudes. According to the text, when amplitudes are the same, the general ellipse degenerates into a perfect circle. We can assume the periods are equal though. Precisely,

Consider two harmonic waves traveling in perpendicular directions whose periods are not only able to be expressed as integer ratios, but the ratios involve two small whole numbers.

Yes, I am quite aware of the Pythagorean Identities as well as all the other trig identities. I am just having trouble eliminating t because it is nested within sine and cosine both, and I've never had to combine two first-order trigonometric equations into general ellipse. In my experience in college calculus and algebra (for engineers), professors always seemed to give ellipses and elliptic integrals, etc. a wide berth, labeling them as "too complicated".

BUT I WANT TO KNOW! hahah :)

Last edited:
I don't get what your problem is. You have derived the equation you started with and the ##t## is eliminated. What is it that you want that you haven't already done?

I want to know the actual steps taken to eliminate the parameter. In other words, if all I had were the two initial equations of u and v, and I wanted to make an elliptic equation without t (not knowing the answer), how would I go about doing it?

Take a look at http://scipp.ucsc.edu/~haber/ph5B/addsine.pdf, in the appendix on page 5. He does it for sines but it works just as easily for your problem. Don't let all his subscripts mess you up. Just start with$$
A \cos(\alpha -\epsilon) + B cos(\alpha)= C\cos(\alpha + \phi)$$to keep it simple and use the real part in his argument.

[Edit]Nevermind. I was working on two things at once and it isn't immediately obvious the relevance of this to your problem.

Last edited:

What is a "parameter" in harmonic trigonometric combinations?

A parameter is a variable or constant that is used to represent a specific value in a mathematical equation or formula. In harmonic trigonometric combinations, the parameter is typically a numerical value that determines the amplitude, frequency, or phase shift of the function.

Why is eliminating the parameter important in harmonic trigonometric combinations?

Eliminating the parameter in a harmonic trigonometric combination allows us to express the function in terms of a single variable, making it easier to analyze and manipulate. It also helps us to identify and understand the behavior of the function more clearly.

How do I eliminate the parameter in a harmonic trigonometric combination?

The method for eliminating the parameter in a harmonic trigonometric combination depends on the specific function and the type of parameter being used. In general, it involves using trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulations to express the function in terms of a single variable. This may require multiple steps and can be quite complex for certain combinations.

What are some applications of harmonic trigonometric combinations?

Harmonic trigonometric combinations are commonly used in physics and engineering to model periodic phenomena such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and oscillating systems. They are also used in signal processing and digital communications to analyze and manipulate signals with specific frequencies and amplitudes.

Are there any limitations to eliminating the parameter in a harmonic trigonometric combination?

In some cases, it may not be possible to completely eliminate the parameter in a harmonic trigonometric combination, especially if the function is highly complex or has multiple parameters. In these situations, other methods such as graphing or numerical approximations may be used to analyze the function.