Help for combinatorial question?

• Thread starter erogol
  • Start date
In summary, A "codeword" from the alphabet A={0,1,2,3) is legitimate if it contains an even number of zeros. The number of n-letter codewords that are legitimated is 2^(2n-1) + 2^n -1. To find this answer, you can make a sum over all possible even numbers of 0s.
erogol
a "codeword" from the alphabet A={0,1,2,3) is said to be legitimate if it contains even number of zeros. Thus for instance the codeword 31020 is legitimated and 0002 is not. How many n - letter codewords are legitimated ?

Physics news on Phys.org
erogol said:
a "codeword" from the alphabet A={0,1,2,3) is said to be legitimate if it contains even number of zeros. Thus for instance the codeword 31020 is legitimated and 0002 is not. How many n - letter codewords are legitimated ?

Hi erogol! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

i have no sense to solve it i just know answer is 2^(2n-1) + 2^n -1

erogol said:
i have no sense to solve it i just know answer is 2^(2n-1) + 2^n -1

ok, start by making a sum over all possible (even) numbers of 0s …

the total number of legitimated words is ∑ what ? :smile:

So you are not even going to try?

HallsofIvy said:
So you are not even going to try?

Are you talking to me? :biggrin:

1. What is combinatorial question?

Combinatorial question refers to a type of mathematical problem that involves counting or arranging objects, where the order of the objects matters.

2. How do I solve a combinatorial question?

To solve a combinatorial question, you first need to identify the type of problem it is (permutations, combinations, etc.). Then, use the appropriate formula or method to calculate the number of possible outcomes.

3. What are some common examples of combinatorial questions?

Some common examples of combinatorial questions include: how many ways can you arrange a deck of cards, how many possible license plate combinations are there, and how many different pizza toppings can you choose from a menu.

4. Is there a specific strategy or approach to solving combinatorial questions?

Yes, there are different strategies and methods that can be used to solve combinatorial questions, such as using the fundamental principle of counting, using combinations or permutations, and using tree diagrams.

5. What are some real-world applications of combinatorial questions?

Combinatorial questions have many real-world applications, such as in probability and statistics, computer science, and decision-making processes. They are used to solve problems involving arranging objects, selecting options, and analyzing outcomes.