Help in equillibrium problem with directon of net change

• Thread starter tribalman100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change Net
In summary, the amounts of substances added to the reaction vessel are converted to molarity and a reaction quotient (Qp) is calculated using the partial pressures of each species. The net reaction occurs to the right because Qp (98.4) is slightly less than the equilibrium constant Kp (102). The problem is that the calculation for Qp is incorrect, resulting in a value of 420000 instead of 98.4.
tribalman100

Homework Statement

The following amounts of substances are added to a 7.25 L reaction vessel at 773K:
(.103 mol CO) , (.205 mol H2), ( 2.1 mol CH4), ( 3.15 mol H20). In what direction will a net reaction occur to react equilibrium.

CO(g) + 3H2(g) --------> CH4(g) + H20 (g)
<-------

Kp= 102 at 773K

The answer to this problem is a slight net reaction occurs to the right because QP (98.4) is slightly less than Kp (102)

The problem i have is everytime i try to do the work i can't get the Qp to = 98.4

If someone will help me i will be very greatful

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

here is my attempt sry i forgot to post it

first i put all the moles in molarity and got the folloying
CO--- .42 M
H2--- .28
CH4--- .014
H2) --- 2x10-5 when you cube it cause of the coefficient

Then i put a Qp equation

Qp= ( .42)(.28)
--------------------
------( .014)(2e-5)

Final answer i got was Qp= 420000 way off i can't figure out why

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The reaction quotient (Qp) in this case refers to the partial pressures of each of the species (rather than molarity). I believe the exponent for each of the partial pressures if given by the mole fraction of each species.

Based on the given information, it seems like you are trying to calculate the equilibrium constant (Kp) using the Qp equation. However, the problem is asking for the direction of net change in the reaction, not the equilibrium constant.

To determine the direction of net change, you need to compare the value of Qp (reaction quotient) to Kp (equilibrium constant).

In this case, Qp= 98.4 and Kp= 102. Since Qp is slightly less than Kp, this means that the reaction is not yet at equilibrium and a slight net reaction will occur to the right to reach equilibrium. This means that more products (CH4 and H2O) will be formed and some reactants (CO and H2) will be consumed to reach equilibrium.

I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. It's important to read the question carefully and make sure you are using the correct equations and concepts to solve it.

1. What is meant by equilibrium problem with direction of net change?

Equilibrium in science refers to a state of balance. In an equilibrium problem with direction of net change, we are trying to find the point at which the system is in equilibrium and the direction in which the system will move in order to reach equilibrium.

2. How do you determine the direction of net change in an equilibrium problem?

The direction of net change can be determined by looking at the relative rates of the forward and reverse reactions in the system. If the forward reaction is occurring at a faster rate, the system will move towards products and if the reverse reaction is occurring at a faster rate, the system will move towards reactants.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium position in a system?

The equilibrium position is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, concentration of reactants and products, and the presence of a catalyst. These factors can shift the equilibrium towards the reactants or products depending on their effect on the forward and reverse reactions.

4. How do you solve an equilibrium problem with direction of net change?

To solve an equilibrium problem with direction of net change, we use the equilibrium constant (K) and the initial concentrations of reactants and products. We then set up an ICE table to calculate the concentrations at equilibrium and use the value of K to determine the direction in which the system will move.

5. What is the importance of understanding equilibrium problems with direction of net change?

Understanding equilibrium problems with direction of net change is crucial in fields such as chemistry and biology, as it allows us to predict the direction in which a reaction will proceed and the concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium. This information is essential for designing and optimizing chemical reactions and understanding biological processes.