1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help involving vector (bio-savart law)

1. May 23, 2009 #1
    URGENT help involving vector (bio-savart law)

Hi, I have an exam monday and normally have no problems finding the components of integration, however in this one I don't know why but I do. Current is flowing in the loop in the direction shown, and a is the radius of the loop. The magnetic field from the y-components cancel out, so all that there is is the x component. To find the x component I thought it is [tex]\int[/tex] dbx/r...but according to my textbook and an old exam it is [tex]\int[/tex] dba/r...I have been trying to figure out the logic behind this but I cannot figure it out, we did a problem like this in class and the teacher did it my way....can someone help please?

Attached Files:

• e&m.JPG
      e&m.JPG
      File size:
      8.7 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2009 #2
    Re: URGENT help involving vector (bio-savart law)

Anybody, please? It's a final and if I don't get this cleared up I'm gonna be really confused :S

4. May 24, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi mmmboh! :smile:

If it was an electric field, the field lines would go straight out, and E would be along r, so you would get the x-component by multiplying by x/r.

But the magnetic field has loopy field lines, and B is perpendicular to r, so the cosine is of the complementary angle, and is a/r. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook