Help Me Cope With a Heavy Courseload This Fall

• Courses
  • Thread starter camdenreslink
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fall
In summary, the mechanical engineering major at the University at Buffalo is a challenge due to the heavy course load. However, with a summer of studying and a good attitude, the student should be able to succeed.
camdenreslink
I am a sophomore Mechanical Engineering major transferring from a really crappy college to the University at Buffalo, which is a halfway decent engineering school. I want to rock my first semester with a 4.0 and try to get some scholarships for my junior year. The problem is, that I need to take a fairly heavy courseload to catch up to the other students because I transferred.

Here are the classes under my belt:
- Calc I
- Calc II
- Physics I (Classical Mechanics)
- Physics I Lab

Here are the classes I'm taking in the fall (ends up as 18 credit hours):
- Calc III w/ recitation
- Physics II (Electricity and Magnetism) w/ recitation and Lab
- Statics
- Computation for Engineers w/ Lab (Essentially a very basic C++ programming course w/ engineering applications)
- Engineering Ethics and Standard Practices

*I don't have a job this summer and can dedicate my time to studying and hanging out with my gf (isn't life good?).

These are the materials I have:
- Physics I textbook and accompanying workbook
- "An Intro to Mechanics" by Kleppner and Kolenkow
- "Calculus: A Physical and Intuitive Approach" by Kline (Covers Calc I and II topics w/ physics applications)

I was also looking at the MIT Opencourseware Calc III course:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-02-multivariable-calculus-fall-2007/

***So, what should I do this summer to make my fall semester seem like a breeze, and make me more able to impress my professors (which decide who gets most of the engineering dept. scholarship money)?

Physics news on Phys.org
To be honest, that isn't a very heavy schedule. At least for engineering, you should expect more on the way around 3rd yr.

I basically took the same classes last semester, minus statics. I personally enjoyed calc III, and it's one of the reasons I switched to math from engineering. A few vectors here and there (which you can learn easily), but if you have a solid background in calc 1-2, you shouldn't need to study it over the summer.

On a good day (no actual homework due) I did 2 hours of studying. If there was a quiz that week or exam, I spent about 5-7 hours in the library a day. Sometimes the other classes (like engineering ethics or whatever it is you've got) were just inconveniences. Make sure you don't neglect them though. I heard on another thread that you should consider yourself a professional student... so don't stress about having to cope. Trust me, you'll do fine

Edit: Oh nice book too, dude. I have that same one. If you have the reddish paperback version, look on page 702. These are the equations of the plane. If you want to study Calc 3, study from page 700 through 734. This will give you a background in 3-d graphs. Calc 3 does a lot of study in 3 or more dimensions. Don't bog yourself down in this section though. More important to simply know the shapes/geometry, be familiar with it. Then go on to partial differentiation, maxima and minima. Learn double and triple integrals. Everything from page 700 to 843 will be in calc 3. There's more in the actual class not in the book, but don't overwhelm yourself. PM me if you don't understand anything, and I can try and help you out.

Last edited:
Abraham said:
Oh nice book too, dude. I have that same one. If you have the reddish paperback version, look on page 702. These are the equations of the plane. If you want to study Calc 3, study from page 700 through 734. This will give you a background in 3-d graphs. Calc 3 does a lot of study in 3 or more dimensions. Don't bog yourself down in this section though. More important to simply know the shapes/geometry, be familiar with it. Then go on to partial differentiation, maxima and minima. Learn double and triple integrals. Everything from page 700 to 843 will be in calc 3. There's more in the actual class not in the book, but don't overwhelm yourself. PM me if you don't understand anything, and I can try and help you out.

Thanks so much, if I run into anything I'll let you know.

I would go ahead and review the material from your math classes, unless you're a math whiz or something. Maybe just start organizing your materials you need to be comfortable. Make a study schedule. Make a goal list for what you want to achieve. Don't let yourself get distracted, and remember the most important thing is to learn.

First of all, congratulations on transferring to a new university and setting ambitious goals for your first semester! It's great that you have a clear plan and are dedicated to achieving a 4.0 GPA and securing scholarships for your junior year.

To cope with a heavy courseload, it's important to prioritize your time and resources effectively. Here are some suggestions that may help you:

1. Use your summer break wisely: As you mentioned, you don't have a job this summer, which gives you a great opportunity to focus on preparing for your fall semester. Make a study schedule and stick to it, dedicating specific blocks of time to review and practice the materials you will be studying in the fall. This will help you build a strong foundation and make the transition to your new courses smoother.

2. Utilize online resources: The MIT Opencourseware Calc III course is a great resource, and you can also explore other online resources such as Khan Academy or Coursera for additional study materials and practice problems. These platforms offer a variety of materials and resources that can supplement your textbook and help you gain a deeper understanding of the concepts.

3. Seek help when needed: Don't hesitate to reach out to your professors or teaching assistants if you have any questions or need clarification on a topic. They are there to help you and can provide valuable insights and guidance. You can also form study groups with your classmates to review materials and discuss difficult concepts.

4. Stay organized: With a heavy courseload, it's important to stay organized and manage your time effectively. Keep track of due dates for assignments and exams, and make sure to prioritize your tasks based on their importance and deadlines.

5. Take care of yourself: It's important to maintain a balance between your academic responsibilities and your personal well-being. Make sure to take breaks, exercise, and get enough sleep to keep your mind and body healthy. This will help you stay focused and perform better in your courses.

Overall, with dedication and proper time management, you can definitely excel in your first semester and impress your professors. Best of luck!

What can I do to manage my time effectively with a heavy courseload?

1. Create a schedule: Start by mapping out your daily and weekly tasks, including class times, assignment due dates, and study time.
2. Prioritize tasks: Identify which tasks are the most important and urgent, and focus on those first.
3. Break up your workload: Instead of trying to tackle everything at once, break up your workload into smaller, manageable chunks.
4. Avoid procrastination: Try to avoid putting off tasks until the last minute, as this can lead to increased stress and difficulty in completing assignments.
5. Take breaks: It's important to take breaks from studying to avoid burnout. Schedule in short breaks throughout the day to rest and recharge.

How can I stay organized with a heavy courseload?

1. Use a planner or calendar: Write down all your assignments, due dates, and important dates in a planner or on a calendar to help you stay on track.
2. Utilize technology: There are many apps and online tools that can help you stay organized, such as task managers, note-taking apps, and study timers.
3. Keep your workspace tidy: A cluttered workspace can lead to distractions and make it difficult to focus. Keep your workspace clean and organized to improve productivity.
4. Use color-coding: Assign different colors to different subjects or tasks to help you quickly identify and prioritize tasks.
5. Review and update regularly: Take a few minutes each day to review your schedule and make any necessary updates or adjustments.

What are some strategies for managing stress with a heavy courseload?

1. Practice self-care: Make sure to prioritize self-care activities, such as exercise, getting enough sleep, and taking breaks from studying.
2. Talk to someone: Reach out to a friend, family member, or counselor if you are feeling overwhelmed and need someone to talk to.
3. Practice mindfulness: Take a few minutes each day to practice mindfulness techniques, such as deep breathing or meditation, to help reduce stress.
4. Use positive self-talk: Instead of focusing on negative thoughts, try to reframe them into positive affirmations to help you stay motivated and confident.
5. Seek help when needed: If you are struggling to manage your stress, don't be afraid to reach out to your professors or academic advisors for assistance.

What are some ways to improve my study habits with a heavy courseload?

1. Create a study schedule: Set aside dedicated study time for each subject, and stick to it.
2. Find a study space: Choose a quiet and comfortable place to study, such as a library or a designated study area.
3. Take effective notes: Develop a note-taking system that works for you and review your notes regularly.
4. Use active studying techniques: Instead of just reading and highlighting, try to actively engage with the material through methods such as flashcards or practice quizzes.
5. Seek help when needed: Don't be afraid to ask your professors or classmates for help if you are struggling with a particular subject.

How can I maintain a work-life balance with a heavy courseload?

1. Prioritize your tasks: Identify which tasks are the most important and focus on those first.
2. Set boundaries: Learn to say no to additional commitments that may add to your workload.
3. Make time for yourself: Schedule in some time each day to do something you enjoy, whether it's reading, exercising, or spending time with friends and family.
4. Take breaks: It's important to take breaks from studying to avoid burnout. Schedule in short breaks throughout the day to rest and recharge.
5. Stay organized: By staying organized and managing your time effectively, you can reduce stress and free up more time for yourself.