1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me determine a vector that's perpendicular (with work)

1. Sep 7, 2015 #1
    Problem: The vectors A and B together define a plane surface. Determine a vector of magnitude 3 that is perpendicular to that surface.

What I am thinking is Vector A is on the x-axis and B is on the y-axis. Therefore, the vector that I must determine, runs along the z-axis which is 90 degrees to that plain.

So, can I say that the answer is: The vector that must be determined is 90 degrees z-axis of x-axis with a magnitude of 3?

Sorry if what I am doing or saying is not even remotely close to the valid answer.

Can you please tell me how to approach this problem, maybe even go through it?

Here is a picture of what I think the Determined Vector of magnitude 3 is:
    Picture URL: http://tinypic.com/r/25u16jd/8
    http://tinypic.com/r/25u16jd/8

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you studied the cross product of vectors?

4. Sep 8, 2015 #3
    Two vectors are perpendicular if their dot product is zero.

5. Sep 8, 2015 #4
    No I haven't, I am still learning the basics. I will spend the rest of tonight looking over it.

6. Sep 8, 2015 #5
    So |A|*|B|*cos(theta) = 0
    cos(theta) = 0 / (|A|*|B|)
    theta = arccos(0)
    theta = 90 degress
    I can say that the VECTOR that is perpendicular to the plane is 90 degrees counterclockwise and have its magnitude = 3?

7. Sep 8, 2015 #6
    I think you should rather look at cross product

8. Sep 8, 2015 #7
    LOL, yeah I am, thank you.

9. Sep 8, 2015 #8
  10. Sep 8, 2015 #9
    So I am not sure, but this is what I got.

First I find the cross product of A and B, since it will give me a vector that is perpendicular to both A and B.

A x B = C

And now that I have C in vector components, but from here I am lost. Do I multiply it by 3 since it wants a "vector with a magnitude of 3"?

so 3C = 3*(# i + #j + #k) is my answer?

Can you tell me if this is wrong and explain to me the correct way?

11. Sep 8, 2015 #10
    So I am not sure, but this is what I got.

First I find the cross product of A and B, since it will give me a vector that is perpendicular to both A and B.

A x B = C

And now that I have C in vector components, but from here I am lost. Do I multiply it by 3 since it wants a "vector with a magnitude of 3"?

so 3C = 3*[#i + #j + #k] is my answer?

Can you tell me if this is wrong and explain to me the correct way?

12. Sep 8, 2015 #11

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should compute the magnitude of ##\mathbf{C} = \mathbf{A}\times \mathbf{B}##. You can either multiply ##\mathbf{C}## by an appropriate number to obtain a vector with magnitude 3 or derive a unit vector ##\hat{\mathbf{C}}## as an intermediate step and then multply that.

13. Sep 8, 2015 #12

RUber

Homework Helper

This is just about right. However, as Fzero just said, if the magnitude of C is not 1, then 3*C will not have magnitude 3, it will have magnitude 3|C|.

14. Sep 8, 2015 #13
    So for the second method that you mentioned you mean like this?

A: 4i + 3j - 2k
    B: 2i - 3j - 2k

AxB = C = i -12j - 18k

##\hat{\mathbf{C}}## = C / |C|

3*##\hat{\mathbf{C}}## = 3 * [-12i - 18k / sqrt(468)]

15. Sep 8, 2015 #14

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's the general idea. But with ##\mathbf{A}## and ##\mathbf{B}## as given I find
    $$\mathbf{A}\times\mathbf{B} = \begin{vmatrix} \mathbf{i} & \mathbf{j} & \mathbf{k} \\ 4 & 3 & -2 \\ 2 & -3 & -2 \end{vmatrix} $$
    gives a slightly different result from yours. So recheck your calculation before working out ##\hat{\mathbf{C}}##.

16. Sep 8, 2015 #15

RUber

Homework Helper

Where did your i component go?

17. Sep 8, 2015 #16
    Sorry for line "AxB = C = i -12j - 18k", I meant to say AxB = C = 0i -12j - 18k.

I forgot to go back and fix it after realizing my Num Lock was off.

18. Sep 8, 2015 #17
    I am not going to lie, I find physics and things associated with the course to be very hard and that I am struggling. Therefore, thank you everyone for you guys' help.

19. Sep 8, 2015 #18

RUber

Homework Helper

I don't think you are handling the negatives properly.
    I also get a different result.

20. Sep 8, 2015 #19
    You are right, I am going to redo that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted