Help me im in WAS and i need to know Delta V. .

In summary: in summary, if you are 220 miles up and 210 miles out from the earth and you want to drop the perigee to 60 miles, you would need to travel 792,000ft.
davo
help me please I am in WAS and i need to know Delta V. please please please.

ok i am curently in WAS(wa arowspace scolars) I am a bad speller but i could care less also I am new hear. i know what the formula for delta v is but i do not understand it. i am interested in learning but please putin into layman's terms. also hear is the Question. De-orbit maneuvers are usually done to lower the perigee of the orbit to 60 miles (or less). The Orbiter is captured and re-enters as it passes into the atmosphere at this altitude.

There is a change of 1 mile for every 2 feet per second (fps) change in velocity when you are below a 500-mile altitude above the Earth.

Determine the change in velocity (delta-V) that the Shuttle will need to make if it is at an altitude of 220 miles above the Earth at apogee and 210 miles above the Earth at perigee, and needs to drop the perigee to an altitude of 60 miles.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Delta v in this context is simply the change in the velocity of the shuttle. That is the original velocity minus the final velocity.

Kurdt said:
Delta v in this context is simply the change in the velocity of the shuttle. That is the original velocity minus the final velocity.
ok so then (if i understand u) from what the question stated (for its speed) every time its decreasing a mile its travaling 2fps below a 500 mile altitude above the Earth? So then really their asking me: when is the shuttle going to reach a perigee of 60 miles and how meny mile's/fps? I will try and wok it out and see what i get.

So for every mile in altitude lost the velocity changes by 2fps. So if the altitude decreases by x miles then the change in velocity is 2x fps.

Kurdt said:
So for every mile in altitude lost the velocity changes by 2fps. So if the altitude decreases by x miles then the change in velocity is 2x fps.

thank u so much man i will try it out and if u could tell me if it is right i would apreciate it. i should have it done soon.

ok so i came up with:it needs to travel 792,000ft to reach the 60 mile marker, and decreases 150 miles. am i right? sorry it took 4 ever i seam to compliate things and think of them in a bigger perportion even though they really arnt.

If it decreases by 150 miles then the change in speed is going to be 300 fps. fps = feet per second.

What are your future plans? Perhaps you need to reevaluate the importance you put on proper communication skills.

I for one had a hard time getting past the incorrect spelling and grammar in your question.

Kurdt said:
If it decreases by 150 miles then the change in speed is going to be 300 fps. fps = feet per second.

ok thank you. You made it seem a hell of a lot easyer then what it looked like.

What is Delta V?

Delta V, also known as change in velocity, is a measure of the amount of thrust required to change an object's velocity or trajectory. It is commonly used in space travel to calculate how much fuel is needed to reach a specific destination.

How do I calculate Delta V?

To calculate Delta V, you will need to know the mass of the spacecraft, the specific impulse of the engine, and the change in velocity needed. The formula for calculating Delta V is Delta V = Isp * g * ln(m0/m1), where Isp is specific impulse, g is acceleration due to gravity, m0 is the initial mass, and m1 is the final mass.

What is specific impulse?

Specific impulse is a measure of how efficiently a rocket engine uses fuel. It is the ratio of thrust produced to the rate at which fuel is consumed. The higher the specific impulse, the more efficient the engine is at using fuel.

How does Delta V impact space travel?

Delta V is crucial in space travel as it determines the amount of fuel needed for a spacecraft to reach its destination. The higher the Delta V, the more fuel is needed, making it more expensive and challenging to reach distant locations in space.

Can I use Delta V to travel to other planets?

Yes, Delta V is used to calculate the amount of fuel needed to travel to other planets. Each planet has a different gravitational pull, which affects the amount of Delta V required for a spacecraft to reach it. Calculating Delta V is essential in planning and executing successful space missions to other planets.