Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me learn the GR cartan formalism

1. Apr 23, 2010 #1
    Im learning the cartan formalism of doing quick computations of the christoffel symbols and curvature however my book is a bit vague (McMahon). Does anyone have any lecture notes or webpages that do a good job?
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2010 #2
    Pretty much all of the standard graduate-level books cover this at an acceptable level. Ones that spring to mind immediately include Wald, MTW, et al. I think even Sean Carroll's book discusses it as well.

Actually, now that I think of it, Chandrasekhar's book on black holes covers this in quite some detail, including the explicit Newman-Penrose formalism. It's very index-heavy though, so if you're inclined towards coordinate-freedom in your geometry, you might not like it very much.

4. Apr 27, 2010 #3

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

MTW actually has a decent discussion of it, including a worked example.

Also, I think Nakahara's discussion is very concise and clear. He takes only a few pages to cover it, but he makes it absolutely clear how to carry out a calculation, and how to relate the connection form to the traditional Levi-Civita connection.

The Cartan structure equations can actually be solved explicitly without too much difficulty, giving you expressions for the connection and curvature in terms of frames, co-frames and their derivatives.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook