Help me to get the names of all stars with their declination?

In summary, the speaker is looking for a source to find the names of circumpolar stars in the observer's latitude of 26 degree 28 minute 12 second North. They mention that all stars with a declination higher than +63 degree 31 minute 48 second are circumpolar and those with a declination lower than -63 degree 31 minute 48 second cannot be observed in this location. They ask for help finding a reliable star catalogue and suggest using astronomy star charts or websites such as asa.usno.navy.mil and aavso.org.
purnendu.007
I want to check circumpolar stars for the observer whose latitude is 26 degree 28 minute 12 second North (My office). From here, latitude = 26 degree 28 minute 12 second North, all stars with a declination higher than +63 degree 31 minute 48 second are such circumpolar stars. And stars with a declination less than −63 degree 31 minute 48 second can never be observed here.

So I want to study on those and I need the name of all stars with proper declination (very close to my region). I am not getting the proper (authentic) star catalogue. Can anyone please help me by providing any source for it?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Try "astronomy star charts" with Bing or Google

Check out this
"asa.usno.navy.mil/SecH/2011/brightstar_2011.pdf"[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Gannet said:
Check out this
"asa.usno.navy.mil/SecH/2011/brightstar_2011.pdf"[/URL][/QUOTE]

also AAVSO: [url]http://www.aavso.org/[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:

I would suggest using a star catalog database such as the SIMBAD database or the NASA Exoplanet Archive. These databases contain information on millions of stars, including their names and declination. You can search for stars within a specific declination range, in this case, +63 degree 31 minute 48 second to -63 degree 31 minute 48 second, to find a list of circumpolar stars for your observer's latitude. Additionally, these databases are regularly updated and considered to be reliable sources of information for astronomical research. I would also recommend consulting with a fellow astronomer or reaching out to a local observatory for assistance in accessing and navigating these databases.

1. What is declination in astronomy?

Declination is a coordinate used in astronomy to measure the angular distance of a celestial object from the celestial equator. It is similar to latitude on Earth and is measured in degrees, minutes, and seconds.

2. How many stars are there with known declination?

There are approximately 10,000 stars with a declination of 0 degrees, which is the same as the celestial equator. However, there are hundreds of billions of stars in the Milky Way alone, and it is estimated that there are trillions of stars in the universe. The majority of these stars likely have unknown declinations.

3. How can I find the names of all stars with their declination?

There are several online databases and tools available for finding the names of stars and their declination. Some popular options include the SIMBAD Astronomical Database, the Virtual Observatory, and the SkyView Virtual Telescope. These resources allow you to search for specific stars and view their coordinates and other information.

4. Is declination the only coordinate used to locate stars?

No, declination is one of two coordinates used in astronomy to pinpoint the location of a celestial object. The other coordinate is called right ascension, and it is measured in hours, minutes, and seconds. Together, declination and right ascension form a system similar to longitude and latitude on Earth.

5. Can the declination of a star change over time?

Yes, the declination of a star can change over time due to the Earth's axial tilt and its precession (wobbling) motion. This means that a star's declination may be different thousands or even millions of years from now compared to its current declination. This is why astronomers use a reference point called the epoch when recording celestial coordinates.