Help needed, rearranging polynomial for inverse equation

In summary: Then you have p² = y - f. Then you can solve for x by taking the square root of each side and solving for x.In summary, to rearrange the equation y = ax^2 + bx + c to the form of x = ?, you can either complete the square or use the quadratic formula. The Wolfram Equation Solver provides a helpful step-by-step breakdown for solving equations with parameters. Additionally, you can solve for p = (dx + e) first, and then solve for x by taking the square root of both sides.
Charij
Hi, I need to rearrange an equation:

y = ax^2 + bx + c

to the form of:

x = ?

I'm not entirely sure how to go about this and the examples I've found require the equation to be in a different form. Any tips or a point in the right direction would be great!

Thanks in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Complete the square.

Great thanks!

That in mind I've got:

x = [itex]\frac{\sqrt{y - c - \frac{b^{2}}{4a}} - \frac{b}{2\sqrt{a}}}{\sqrt{a}}[/itex]

Do you know the quadratic formula, which is the default solution of ax² + bx + c = 0? Or is that what you are trying to prove here? Because if not, you can pull y to the other side of the equals sign and apply the quadratic formula.

Complete the square or use the quadratic formula.

Most people learn how to solve quadratic equations before they learn about "inverse functions". Also, at some point you will have a "plus or minus". Unless your domain is restricted, a quadratic function will NOT have an inverse function.

I'm actually writing a program that works out a, b and c, but then needs to work out x given y. I probably used the wrong terminology to describe something along the way ^^

The answer I first wrote was generated by getting the equation in the form of:

y = (dx + e)^2 + f

and then working out d, e and f. The wolfram example is much nicer solution though, and more efficient computer wise :)

Thanks a lot for the help!

If you already have a square you can solve for p = (dx + e) first.

1. What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is an algebraic expression that consists of variables and coefficients, and can contain addition, subtraction, and multiplication operations. It can also have positive integer exponents.

2. What does it mean to rearrange a polynomial?

Rearranging a polynomial means to change the order of its terms or to group like terms together. This can make the polynomial easier to analyze or to solve for a specific variable.

3. How can I rearrange a polynomial for an inverse equation?

To rearrange a polynomial for an inverse equation, you need to isolate the variable that you want to solve for on one side of the equation. This may involve factoring, distributing, or using other algebraic methods.

4. Why is it important to understand inverse equations for polynomials?

Understanding inverse equations for polynomials is important because it allows you to solve for unknown variables and find the relationship between two variables. This can be helpful in many real-world applications, such as in physics and finance.

5. Is there a specific method for rearranging polynomials for inverse equations?

There is no one specific method for rearranging polynomials for inverse equations, as it may depend on the specific polynomial and the variable you are trying to solve for. However, some common techniques include isolating the variable by using the inverse operation, using the quadratic formula, or using the method of substitution.