1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help, Negation and Contrapositive of the following statement?

1. Aug 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the statement "if x is odd and x is a multiple of 3, then x ≥ 6." write down the contrapositive and negation of this statement?

2. The attempt at a solution

This is what I worked our as an answer but I am pretty sure it's wrong.

Contrapositive

"if x ≤ 6, then x is even OR x is not a multiple of 3"

Negation

"if x is even OR x is not a multiple of 3, then x ≤ 6"

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Can you please define the two terms in the context of this problem. What are your book's definition of Negation and Copntrapositive?

4. Aug 30, 2010 #3

Mark44

Tek1Atom, you are close on the contrapositive. For the implication p ==> q, the contrapositive is ~q ==> ~p.

In your problem, q is the statement "x <= 6" What statement is represented by ~q?
    Edit: Fixed error.
    For the negation of an implication p ==> q, it might be helpful to note that (p ==> q) <==> (~p v q). So the negation of p ==> q (that is, ~(p ==> q)) is equivalent to the negation of (~p v q) (that is, ~(~p v q)). This last expression can be simplified by using deMorgan's Laws.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  5. Aug 30, 2010 #4
    Thanks Mark44, as you are aware, there are two variables in this statement so it is quite tricky for me to answer at this point in time, I am pretty new to logic, what would the answer to this question be written down in English?

6. Aug 30, 2010 #5

Mark44

p: x is odd and x is a multiple of 3
    q: x >= 6
    Edit: Fixed error.
    For the negation of p ==> q, you can instead work with the negation of ~p v q; i.e., ~(~p v q). You'll want to simplify this last expression using deMorgan's Law.

You're going to have to work this out yourself, since the rules of this forum expressly prohibit giving the answers to questions. I have defined statements p and q above, based on your problem, so work with the symbols and plug in the appropriate statements to get your answer in English.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  7. Aug 30, 2010 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Shouldn't that be (~p v q)? The implication is only false when p is true and q is false.

8. Aug 31, 2010 #7

Mark44

Yes, you're right. I edited the two posts with this error.

9. Aug 31, 2010 #8
    Would this be correct?

p: x is odd and is a multiple of 3
    q: x ≥ 6
    ~p: x is even and x is not a multiple of 3
    ~q: x ≤ 6

so

Contrapositive

if x ≤ 6, then x is even and x is not a multiple of 3

Negation

x is even and x is not a multiple of 3, therefore x ≤ 6

10. Aug 31, 2010 #9

Mark44

Almost. ~(Q ^ R) <==> ~Q V ~R
    Here ^ means "and", V means "or".
    If x = 6, then you have both p and ~p being true, which can't possibly happen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook