Help on 2 previous AP Calc AB test questions

• Thread starter Sympathy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ap Test
In summary, Rocket A is launched upward from an initial height of 0 feet at t=0 seconds with a positive velocity v(t). The velocity of the rocket is recorded for selected values of t over the interval 0 <(or = to) t <(or = to) 80 seconds, as shown in the table. The average acceleration of Rocket A over the time interval is 11/20 ft/sec^2. The meaning of "the integral of 10 to 70 of v(t)dt" in terms of the rocket's flight is the total change in position over the time interval from 10 seconds to 70 seconds. Using a midpoint Riemann sum with 3 subintervals of equal length
Sympathy
Rocket A has positive velocity v(t) after being launched upward from an initial height of 0 feet at t=0 seconds. The velocity of the rocket is recorded for selected values of t over the interval 0 <(or = to) t <(or = to) 80 seconds, as shown in the table below.

t (seconds) 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80
v(t) ft/sec 5 14 22 29 35 40 44 47 49

a) Find the average acceleration of rocket A over the time interval 0 <(or = to) t <(or = to) 80 . Indicate units of measure.
(I did this one :D)

b) using correct units, explain the meaning of "the integral of 10 to 70 of v(t)dt" in terms of the rocket's flight. Use a midpoint Riemann sum with 3 subintervals of equal length to approximate "the integral of 10 to 70 of v(t)dt".

I honestly have no idea how part 2 of this works, and if you could, explain pt 1 of this question also.

c) Rocket B is launched upward with an acceleration of a(t) = 3/sq root(t + 1) feet per second per second. At time t = 0 seconds, the initial height of the rocket is 0 feet, and the initial velocity is 2 ft / second. Which of the 2 rockets is traveling faster at time t = 80 seconds? explain your answer.

yeah clueless on part c as well, help would be much appreciated =)

Physics news on Phys.org
and second problem:

The twice differentiable function f is defined for all real numbers and stisfied the following conditions:

f(0) = 2 f'(0) = -4 f''(0) = 3

a) the function g is given by g(x) = e^(ax) + f(x) for all real numbers, where a is a constant. Find g'(0) and g''(0) in terms of a. Show the work that leads to your answers.

b) The function h is given by h(x) = cos(kx)f(x) for all real numbers, where k is a constant. Find h'(x) and write an equation for the line tangent to the graph of h at x = 0.

Ahh guys, Sympathy has already personally asked me about this thread on Msn Messenger...we managed to do a and most of b before sympathy went offline...
so I think its just c and 2nd post left...

Sympathy, welcome to PF. Firstly, in future please post these sorts of questions in the dedicated homework forums. Please note that before we can help you, you must show your working. Gib Z seems to think that you have done the first question, but for the second one, please post your thoughts on the question.

Ahh Sympathy came back online, fine with all the posted questions but needs this one, I can't do it:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1+y}{x}[/tex].

Graph that with slope fields.

I got it, its not very hard, thanks guys!

O I think I got it too :D

x/dx = 1+y, integrate both sides.
ln x= ln y+1, or

y=x-1 :D

hey guys, can anyone here show how to work that first problem that was posted?
"Rocket A has positive velocity v(t) after being launched upward from an initial height of 0 feet at t=0 seconds. The velocity of the rocket is recorded for selected values of t over the interval 0 <(or = to) t <(or = to) 80 seconds, as shown in the table below.

t (seconds) 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80
v(t) ft/sec 5 14 22 29 35 40 44 47 49

a) Find the average acceleration of rocket A over the time interval 0 <(or = to) t <(or = to) 80 . Indicate units of measure.

b) using correct units, explain the meaning of "the integral of 10 to 70 of v(t)dt" in terms of the rocket's flight. Use a midpoint Riemann sum with 3 subintervals of equal length to approximate "the integral of 10 to 70 of v(t)dt".

c) Rocket B is launched upward with an acceleration of a(t) = 3/sq root(t + 1) feet per second per second. At time t = 0 seconds, the initial height of the rocket is 0 feet, and the initial velocity is 2 ft / second. Which of the 2 rockets is traveling faster at time t = 80 seconds? explain your answer."

we got this ORQ in class a few days ago and had the whole period to work on it but we were only able to figure out part a.
((ending velocity)-(initial velocity))/(time passed)=((49)-(5))/(80)=(44)/(80)=11/20

Part B completely confuses me so that would be a huge help if someone could help me with that.

And I think I understand how to do part C, just didn't want to skip b. But you would just integrate a(t)=3/sq root(t + 1) to change it to velocity and plug in t=80 and find out which one has a higher velocity at 80 seconds correct?

1. What is the best way to prepare for the AP Calc AB test?

The best way to prepare for the AP Calc AB test is to review and practice previous test questions, understand the concepts and formulas, and get familiar with the calculator functions. It is also helpful to seek help from a teacher, tutor, or study group.

2. How can I improve my score on the AP Calc AB test?

To improve your score on the AP Calc AB test, it is important to practice and review regularly, focus on understanding the concepts rather than memorizing, and take timed practice tests to improve your speed and accuracy. It is also beneficial to seek help from a teacher or tutor for any areas you may be struggling with.

3. What topics should I focus on for the AP Calc AB test?

The AP Calc AB test covers a wide range of topics, but some of the most important ones include limits, derivatives, integrals, and applications of these concepts. It is important to have a strong understanding of these topics and their related formulas.

4. Are there any specific calculator functions I should know for the AP Calc AB test?

Yes, there are some specific calculator functions that can be helpful for the AP Calc AB test, such as graphing functions, finding derivatives and integrals, and calculating definite integrals. It is important to familiarize yourself with these functions and know when and how to use them.

5. How can I manage my time effectively during the AP Calc AB test?

Time management is crucial during the AP Calc AB test. It is important to practice taking timed tests and allocate your time wisely during the actual test. It can also be helpful to skip difficult questions and come back to them later, rather than spending too much time on one question. Make sure to pace yourself and keep an eye on the time throughout the test.