1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP on Hardy Weinberg Problem

1. Feb 11, 2008 #1
    HELP on Hardy Weinberg Problem!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

the allel for unattached earlobes is dominant over the allele for attached earlboes. in a population of 500 individuals 25% show the recessive pheontype. how many individuals woul you expect to be homozygous dominant and heterozygous for this trait?

2. Relevant equations

p^2+q^2=1.0
    p^2+2pq+q^2=1.0

3. The attempt at a solution

q^2=.25
    p^2+.25=1.0
    p^2=.75
    .75 x 500

p^2 =375 people are homozygous dominant

square root of .75 = .87
    square root of .25 =.5
    2(.87)(.5)
    .87 X 500 =435 people are heterozygous

this on one of my many attempts with this problem. i REALLY need some help with it. someone to walk me step by step through it. i know the equation, i have spent plenty of time working on it and i have more of the same problems so if i dont understand one of them than i cant do any. i have looked through all my text books and am unable to understand it. so if you could please help me out and help me step by step with so i can understand how to apply the formula to the problem i would really appreciate it. thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2008 #2

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So now you have template to work these problems.

4. Feb 12, 2008 #3
    thank you VERY much for helping me. i understand it now. thank you. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?