Allele frequencies of the next generation

In summary: The rule is I shouldn't answer for you. But you could not have a more classic first-lesson example of inheritance in a diploid organism with dominant/recessive genes; does a phenotype 3:1 ratio remind you of anything?
Adriane

Homework Statement

Starting with 75 light-colored beans and 25 dark-colored beans, the 100 beans represent my gene pool. Light beans = F and dark beans = f.
p = (total F alleles) / (total number of beans used)

And now I'm stuck where it's asking me to "practice determining the initial allele frequencies (p and q) for both F and F alleles, but change the top number to genotype ff x 2."

Homework Equations

Hardy-Weinberg equation = p^2 + 2pq + q^2 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I got this far:
I have 75 light beans and 25 dark beans. Light beans = F and dark beans = f.
Number of offspring with genotype FF (2 light beans) = 75 x 2 = 150

Number of offspring with genotype Ff (one dark one light) = 25 x 1 = 25

Total F alleles = 175

I thought to find the allele frequencies of p and q in the next generation I had to square them and then do 2pq and add it, but nothing I do adds up to 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
Adriane said:

Homework Statement

Starting with 75 light-colored beans and 25 dark-colored beans, the 100 beans represent my gene pool. Light beans = F and dark beans = f.
p = (total F alleles) / (total number of beans used)

And now I'm stuck where it's asking me to "practice determining the initial allele frequencies (p and q) for both F and F alleles, but change the top number to genotype ff x 2."

Homework Equations

Hardy-Weinberg equation = p^2 + 2pq + q^2 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I got this far:
I have 75 light beans and 25 dark beans. Light beans = F and dark beans = f.
Number of offspring with genotype FF (2 light beans) = 75 x 2 = 150

Number of offspring with genotype Ff (one dark one light) = 25 x 1 = 25

Total F alleles = 175

I thought to find the allele frequencies of p and q in the next generation I had to square them and then do 2pq and add it, but nothing I do adds up to 1.

It was not very easy to make out what the question was (it would have been better to quote from your book or problem sheet) but it seems the question is nothing about the next generation but about the one you've got. You've quoted Hardy-Weinberg, which assumes genetic equilibrium so the next generation will have just the same frequencies of everything as this. I would bet it says that the dark beans are ff, doesn't make too much sense otherwise. Small letters conventionally represent recessive genes. So you re told the frequency of ff, not too difficult to work out the frequency of f.

epenguin said:
It was not very easy to make out what the question was (it would have been better to quote from your book or problem sheet) but it seems the question is nothing about the next generation but about the one you've got. You've quoted Hardy-Weinberg, which assumes genetic equilibrium so the next generation will have just the same frequencies of everything as this. I would bet it says that the dark beans are ff, doesn't make too much sense otherwise. Small letters conventionally represent recessive genes. So you re told the frequency of ff, not too difficult to work out the frequency of f.
Thank you so much, turns out I was being played by my teacher. He wanted to see if we would come to this conclusion, and I over thought the whole thing. Thanks again.

So what is the answer?

The answer is just what you said, that in Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium the allele frequency would stay the same through each generation. So basically all that work for a simple answer.

So the allele frequencies in next generation remain the same as for this generation (most probably, for large enough populations etc.) but the question was what are they?

It was .75 for F and .25 for f.

Adriane said:
It was .75 for F and .25 for f.

I don't think so.

Last edited:
epenguin said:
I don't think so.
Then what do you think it was?

Adriane said:
Then what do you think it was?

The rule is I shouldn't answer for you. But you could not have a more classic first-lesson example of inheritance in a diploid organism with dominant/recessive genes; does a phenotype 3:1 ratio remind you of anything?

Last edited:

What is an allele frequency?

An allele frequency is a measure of how common a certain allele (a version of a gene) is within a population.

Why are allele frequencies important?

Allele frequencies can provide insights into the genetic diversity and evolution of a population. Changes in allele frequencies over time can also indicate natural selection and adaptation.

How do allele frequencies change in the next generation?

Allele frequencies can change in the next generation through various mechanisms such as genetic drift, gene flow, and natural selection. These changes can lead to an increase, decrease, or maintenance of certain alleles in a population.

What factors can affect allele frequencies?

Allele frequencies can be influenced by various factors such as mutation rates, gene flow between populations, genetic drift, natural selection, and mating patterns.

How are allele frequencies calculated?

Allele frequencies can be calculated by dividing the number of copies of a specific allele by the total number of copies of all alleles in a population. This can be represented as a decimal, percentage, or frequency.