Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on the expectation value of two added operators

1. Sep 28, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone,

I was just working on some problems regarding the mathematical formalism of QM, and while trying to finish a proof, I realized that I am not sure if the following fact is always true:

Suppose that we have two linear operators A and B acting over some vector space. Consider a state ket | [itex]\psi[/itex] >

I am wondering if
    < [itex]\psi[/itex] | (A+B) | [itex]\psi[/itex] > = < [itex]\psi[/itex] | A | [itex]\psi[/itex] > + < [itex]\psi[/itex] | B | [itex]\psi[/itex] >
    is always true?

I am thinking that it IS true.

My attempt at the problem, is of course to try and show that
    (A+B) | [itex]\psi[/itex] > = A | [itex]\psi[/itex] > + B | [itex]\psi[/itex] >
    But I am having trouble finding a definition which will confirm this to always be true.

I feel like I am completely overlooking something. Does any one have a helpful hint for me? ANy literature to point me to? My linear algebra books are failing me on this one, at first glance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Definition of a linear operator?

4. Sep 28, 2013 #3
    Checkout Principles of Quantum Mechanics (P.A.M. Dirac) chapter II, Dynamical Variables and Observables, section 7, Linear Operators.

5. Sep 28, 2013 #4
    THANK YOU! I don't know why this was so hard to find, but this is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook