1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Picking Undergrad Physics Electives

1. Sep 26, 2011 #1
    Hey guys,

Doing a double major in CE and Physics, most likely not going into physics research but if I do it would be more on the solid state/ quantum computing side.

That being said, I have room for about 1-2 physics electives left. What would you recommend me take, purely on what was fun or interesting for you guys when you were undergrads.

Right now I am deciding between Particle or some astro class (galaxies and formation or stellar evolution). Any suggestions? Does not need to apply to me research needs, just looking for some interesting classes that would teach me some stuff I wouldn't otherwise learn with my other degree. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2011 #2
    I am assuming CE is for computer engineering rather than civil engineering or chemical engineering.

In this case, and considering your goals, load up as much quantum mechanics and semiconductor theory courses you can.

4. Sep 27, 2011 #3
    Depending on the size of your school - only certain classes may be available during certain terms. If you know that you only have an 'elective gap' in a particular term, that may be something to really look at and could effect your decision.

5. Sep 27, 2011 #4
    @edgepflow Yes you are correct I am a computer engineering major, I should have specified that. I have a bunch of quantum classes. I am taking some fabrication classes, but I am leaning towards opting out of some of the solid state classes, your thoughts? I felt like that was more geared to EE majors.

@mege, I go to University of California, Santa Barbara. I have all of senior year to work with. Just looking for what you guys thought was interesting, no worries about fitting the classes in.

6. Sep 27, 2011 #5
    Solid state physics is a massive branch of physics, and would definitely be useful for someone with your interests.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook