Help Picking Undergrad Physics Electives

In summary: I think you should definitely take a class on quantum computing. It would be an interesting way to learn more about the underlying principles of how computers work.
kennyb91@aol.
Hey guys,

Doing a double major in CE and Physics, most likely not going into physics research but if I do it would be more on the solid state/ quantum computing side.

That being said, I have room for about 1-2 physics electives left. What would you recommend me take, purely on what was fun or interesting for you guys when you were undergrads.

Right now I am deciding between Particle or some astro class (galaxies and formation or stellar evolution). Any suggestions? Does not need to apply to me research needs, just looking for some interesting classes that would teach me some stuff I wouldn't otherwise learn with my other degree. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I am assuming CE is for computer engineering rather than civil engineering or chemical engineering.

In this case, and considering your goals, load up as much quantum mechanics and semiconductor theory courses you can.

Depending on the size of your school - only certain classes may be available during certain terms. If you know that you only have an 'elective gap' in a particular term, that may be something to really look at and could effect your decision.

@edgepflow Yes you are correct I am a computer engineering major, I should have specified that. I have a bunch of quantum classes. I am taking some fabrication classes, but I am leaning towards opting out of some of the solid state classes, your thoughts? I felt like that was more geared to EE majors.

@mege, I go to University of California, Santa Barbara. I have all of senior year to work with. Just looking for what you guys thought was interesting, no worries about fitting the classes in.

kennyb91@aol. said:
@edgepflow Yes you are correct I am a computer engineering major, I should have specified that. I have a bunch of quantum classes. I am taking some fabrication classes, but I am leaning towards opting out of some of the solid state classes, your thoughts? I felt like that was more geared to EE majors.

Solid state physics is a massive branch of physics, and would definitely be useful for someone with your interests.

1. What are some recommended undergraduate physics electives?

Some popular and highly recommended undergraduate physics electives include quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and classical mechanics. These courses are essential for developing a strong foundation in physics and are often required for most graduate programs.

2. How should I choose which electives to take?

It is important to first consider your interests and goals within the field of physics. If you are interested in pursuing a specific area of physics, such as astrophysics or particle physics, then you should choose electives that align with those interests. It is also helpful to talk to academic advisors and professors for guidance on which electives would be most beneficial for your career goals.

3. Are there any prerequisites for these electives?

Yes, most undergraduate physics electives have prerequisites that must be completed before enrolling. These prerequisites are typically introductory physics courses such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and calculus-based mathematics courses. It is important to check with your academic advisor or the course catalog to ensure you have met all necessary prerequisites before enrolling in a physics elective.

4. Can I take electives from other departments?

Yes, many universities offer interdisciplinary courses that combine physics with other fields such as astronomy, engineering, or computer science. These courses can be beneficial in broadening your knowledge and skills in physics and can also count towards your elective requirements. However, it is important to check with your department and academic advisor to ensure the course will count towards your degree.

5. How do these electives contribute to my overall degree?

Elective courses are an essential part of any undergraduate program and contribute to the overall depth and breadth of your knowledge in physics. These courses allow you to explore specific areas of interest and develop a more well-rounded understanding of the subject. Additionally, elective courses can also fulfill degree requirements, such as credit hours or specific subject areas. It is important to carefully plan and choose your electives to ensure they align with your academic and career goals.