Help please differentiating this equation from a mechanics textbook

In summary, the conversation revolved around the differentiation of ##f_1## and ##f_2##, which are functions of variables ##x_1## and ##x_2## respectively. The speaker suggested using the chain rule to obtain their results and also discussed the need for ##x_1## and ##x_2## to depend on time in order to get the desired equation. The conversation also touched upon the time derivative of the term ##2af'_2##.
Intesar
Homework Statement
I came across these equations in a mechanics textbook and wish to differentiate the first equation w.r.t. time to obtain that second equation. Any help is much appreciated!

$$c(f_1+f_2)=a^2(\frac{1}{2}\dot{a}^2 -ca+h)+2af'_2$$

$$c(1-\frac{\dot{a}}{c})(f'_1+f'_2)=ca(-2\dot{a}^2 (1-\frac{1}{2}\frac{\dot{a}}{c})-a\ddot{a}(1-\frac{\dot{a}}{c})+2\frac{\dot{a}}{c}h+\frac{a}{c}\dot{h})+2a(1+\frac{\dot{a}}{c}){f''_2}$$

##f_1(x)=f_1(t-\frac{r}{c})##, ##f_2(x)=f_2(t+\frac{r}{c})##
The book didn't explicitly state the functions of time, but from the second equation we can see that ##a## and ##h## are functions of time.

We also know that $$\frac{f'_1+f'_2}{a}+\frac{1}{2}\dot{a}^2+h=0$$ (if that's of any help)
Relevant Equations
Please see above
I tried doing it a few times and this is all I get:

c(˙f1+˙f2)=a˙a2+a2˙a−3ca2+˙ha2+2ha+2˙af′2+2a˙f′2c(f1˙+f2˙)=aa˙2+a2a˙−3ca2+h˙a2+2ha+2a˙f2′+2af2′˙​

Please let me know where I'm going wrong. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not catch the difference of ##f'## and ##\dot{f}## in your explanation. If they are the same, how about try completing differentiation by t ? For example the first term in RHS of the last equation be ##a\dot{a}^3##.

Last edited:
It appears to me that ##f_1## and ##f_2## might be functions of other variables: ##f_1(x_1)## and ##f_2(x_2)##. The primes on the functions denote differentiation with respect to ##x_1## or ##x_2##.

By the chain rule, ##\dot {f_1} = f_1'(x_1) \dot x_1## and similarly for ##f_2##. In order to get their result, it looks like ##x_1## and ##x_2## must depend on time such that ##\dot x_1 = 1- \large \frac{\dot a}{c}## and ##\dot x_2 = 1+ \large \frac{\dot a}{c}##

TSny said:
It appears to me that ##f_1## and ##f_2## might be functions of other variables: ##f_1(x_1)## and ##f_2(x_2)##. The primes on the functions denote differentiation with respect to ##x_1## or ##x_2##.

By the chain rule, ##\dot {f_1} = f_1'(x_1) \dot x_1## and similarly for ##f_2##. In order to get their result, it looks like ##x_1## and ##x_2## must depend on time such that ##\dot x_1 = 1- \large \frac{\dot a}{c}## and ##\dot x_2 = 1+ \large \frac{\dot a}{c}##

Yes
TSny said:

I've attached the page that I am trying to understand. You are right, ##f_1## and ##f_2## are indeed functions of ##x_1## and ##x_2## respectively (see equation 3.71a in the page attached).
I am still however having a hard time to obtain their equation (3.72).

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 107
anuttarasammyak said:
I do not catch the difference of ##f'## and ##\dot{f}## in your explanation. If they are the same, how about try completing differentiation by t ? For example the first term in RHS of the last equation be ##a\dot{a}^3##.

Ya my mistake, ##\dot{f_1}=f'_1(x_1)\dot{x_1}##. But I'm still unable to obtain their equation.

TSny said:

[
anuttarasammyak said:

##\dot{f_1}=f'_1(x_1)\dot{x_1}##. I'm still unable to obtain their equation (equation 2). The last equation is what I attempted on doing.

Intesar said:
I am still however having a hard time to obtain their equation (3.72).

Consider the left side of the equation $$c(f_1+f_2)=a^2(\frac{1}{2}\dot{a}^2 -ca+h)+2af'_2$$

What do you get for the time derivative of ##c(f_1+f_2)##? Express the result in terms of ##f'_1, f'_2, \dot a##, and ##c##.

TSny said:

[
TSny said:
Consider the left side of the equation $$c(f_1+f_2)=a^2(\frac{1}{2}\dot{a}^2 -ca+h)+2af'_2$$

What do you get for the time derivative of ##c(f_1+f_2)##? Express the result in terms of ##f'_1, f'_2, \dot a##, and ##c##.

##\dot{f_1}=f'_1(1-\frac{\dot{a}}{c})## and ##\dot{f_2}=f'_2(1+\frac{\dot{a}}{c})##

Good. I think you should be able to complete it. On the right hand side there is the term ##2af'_2##. What's the time derivative of this term?

TSny said:

[
TSny said:
Good. I think you should be able to complete it. On the right hand side there is the term ##2af'_2##. What's the time derivative of this term?

The derivative of ##2af'_2## wrt time is ##2\dot{a}f'_2+2a\dot{f'_2}##, but I'm not sure how to express ##\dot{f'_2}## in terms of ##\dot{a}##, ##c## and ##f'##.

Intesar said:
The derivative of ##2af'_2## wrt time is ##2\dot{a}f'_2+2a\dot{f'_2}##, but I'm not sure how to express ##\dot{f'_2}## in terms of ##\dot{a}##, ##c## and ##f'##.
##f'_2## is just another function of ##x_2##. So, you can use the chain rule to get ##\dot {f'_2}## just like you did when finding ##\dot {f_2}##.

anuttarasammyak said:

How did you get ##a\dot{a}^3## for the first term on the RHS?

TSny said:

So I think I'm almost there, but now I'm having a problem with differentiating the the first term on the RHS (##a^2(\frac{1}{2}\dot{a}^2-ca+h)##) with respect to time. This is what I got after differentiating this term:

##a\dot{a}^3+a^2\dot{a}\ddot{a}-3c{a}^2\dot{a}+\dot{h}a^2+2ha\dot{a}##

It seems to be different from what they got, and I am not sure where I went wrong.

Last edited:
Intesar said:
How did you get a˙a3aa˙3a\dot{a}^3 for the first term on the RHS?

[tex]\dot{a^2}=2a\dot{a}[/tex]

anuttarasammyak said:
[tex]\dot{a^2}=2a\dot{a}[/tex]

Thanks! Now so I tried differentiating the the first term on the RHS (##a^2(\frac{1}{2}\dot{a}^2-ca+h)##) with respect to time. This is what I got after differentiating this term:

It seems to be different from what they got, and I am not sure where I went wrong.

Please show us the relation between a and r in OP. Then try calculating time derivative of the rest of RHS,
[tex]\dot{(2af_2')}[/tex]
, as well as LHS.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
Please show us the relation between a and r in OP. Then try calculating time derivative of the rest of RHS,
[tex]\dot{(2af_2')}[/tex]
, as well as LHS.

##r=a(t)##

Intesar said:
##r=a(t)##
Intesar said:
##r=a(t)##

So I tried calculating the derivative now and I'm getting most of the terms (LHS of the equation and the 3 right most terms of the RHS). This is what I have now:

##c(1-\frac{\dot{a}}{c})(f'_1+f'_2)=ca(\frac{\dot{a}^3}{c}+\frac{a\dot{a}\ddot{a}}{c}-3a\dot{a}+\frac{2\dot{a}h}{c}+a\frac{\dot{h}}{c})+2af''_2(1+\frac{\dot{a}}{c})##

I am still trying to figure out the 3 left most terms on the RHS

TSny said:
##f'_2## is just another function of ##x_2##. So, you can use the chain rule to get ##\dot {f'_2}## just like you did when finding ##\dot {f_2}##.

Ya I just did that. It seems like I'm almost arriving at their expression but I can't seem to get the 2 first terms on the RHS.

##\frac{d}{dt}(a^2(\frac{1}{2}\dot{a}^2-ca)=ca(-2\dot{a}^2(1-\frac{1}{2}\frac{\dot{a}}{c})-a\ddot{a}(1-\frac{\dot{a}}{c}))##

I am not sure how they arrived at that. This is what I keep getting:

##\frac{d}{dt}(a^2(\frac{1}{2}\dot{a}^2-ca)=a\dot{a}^3+a^2\dot{a}\ddot{a}-3ca^2\dot{a}##

Intesar said:
Thanks! Now so I tried differentiating the the first term on the RHS (##a^2(\frac{1}{2}\dot{a}^2-ca+h)##) with respect to time. This is what I got after differentiating this term:

It seems like I'm almost arriving at their expression but I can't seem to get the first few terms on the RHS.

##\frac{d}{dt}(a^2(\frac{1}{2}\dot{a}^2-ca)=ca(-2\dot{a}^2(1-\frac{1}{2}\frac{\dot{a}}{c})-a\ddot{a}(1-\frac{\dot{a}}{c}))##

##\frac{d}{dt}(a^2(\frac{1}{2}\dot{a}^2-ca)=a\dot{a}^3+a^2\dot{a}\ddot{a}-3ca^2\dot{a}##

I should have checked more carefully.

Note that in the equation
1588022464558.png

the first and second terms inside the parentheses on the RHS do not match dimensionally. I suspect that there is a typographical error and the middle term should actually be ##-c\dot a## instead of ##-ca##. So the equation should be

1588022601149.png

Then, I believe that taking the time derivative of this will lead to the result as given in the text.

Likes anuttarasammyak
TSny said:

Ya I just did that. It seems like I'm almost arriving at their expression but I can't seem to get the 2 first terms on the RHS.

TSny said:
I should have checked more carefully.

Note that in the equation
View attachment 261593
the first and second terms inside the parentheses on the RHS do not match dimensionally. I suspect that there is a typographical error and the middle term should actually be ##-c\dot a## instead of ##-ca##. So the equation should be

View attachment 261594

Then, I believe that taking the time derivative of this will lead to the result as given in the text.

Thank you so so much! I really appreciate all your help. It finally worked :)

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variables. It is often used in physics and mechanics to calculate velocities and accelerations of objects.

2. How is differentiation used in mechanics?

In mechanics, differentiation is used to find the instantaneous velocity and acceleration of an object. It allows us to analyze the motion of objects and predict their future positions and velocities.

3. What is the equation for differentiation?

The equation for differentiation is dy/dx, where y represents the output variable and x represents the input variable. It is also represented as f'(x), where f(x) is the original function.

4. How do you differentiate a function?

To differentiate a function, you need to use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to find the derivative of a function with respect to its input variables.

5. Why is differentiation important in mechanics?

Differentiation is important in mechanics because it allows us to understand the behavior of moving objects and make predictions about their motion. It also helps us to analyze complex systems and solve problems related to velocity, acceleration, and force.