1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help rearranging this equation

1. Apr 26, 2009 #1
    Ive been trying to rearrange this equation for ages and I cant get the answer that is given in the book. I have 0=-4x^2/2+5/2(x-2)^2+16.7. This can be rearranged to give x^2-20x+53.4=0. I cant get anywhere near that, also how would you sove for x from here?

Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2009 #2
    is the first term -(4/2)(x^2) or (-4)(x^(2/2))? In both cases you can easily simplify it

4. Apr 26, 2009 #3

The way you wrote it is quite confusing, did you mean (all of other stuff written)+16.7 or is that part of the 2(x-2)^2 term... keep things like this in mind though while trying to solve...

say you have .5/1 which equals .5... you can rewrite that as (1/2)/1 .... you can re-arrange this by multiplying by (1/1) to cancel the term on the bottom so you get:

(1/2)*(1/1)= .5 .... im not sure if that helped, but the main point is you can re-arrange divisions by multiplication in a sense.

as far as solving x^2-20x+53.4=0, look up the quadratic equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook