Partial fraction decomposition exercise 2

The first equation is ##A+B = -2##, the third is ##A+4B = -17##. Subtract the first from the third to get ##3B=-15##, hence ##B=-5##, hence ##C=40##, and then ##A=3##.
ducmod

Homework Statement

Hello!
Here is my second post on the subject partial fraction decomposition. The subject looks pretty easy to learn, but when I try exercises, I do not get to the correct answer. Please, take a look at the exercise below and help me to see my mistakes.

Homework Equations

(-2x^2 + 20x - 68) / (x^3 + 4x^2 + 4x + 16)

The Attempt at a Solution

Step 1: create a form for partial fraction decomposition by factoring the denominator:
x^3 + 4x^2 + 4x + 16 = (x^2 + 4) ( x + 4)
x^2 + 4 is in irreducible quadratic form, thus I will work with the above factors
Step 2: clear denominators
(-2x^2 + 20x - 68) (x^2 + 4) ( x + 4) / (x^3 + 4x^2 + 4x + 16) = A (x^2 + 4) ( x + 4) / (x + 4) + (Bx + C) (x^2 + 4) ( x + 4) / (x^2 + 4)
-2x^2 + 20x - 68 = x^2 (A + B) + x ( C + 4B) + 4C + 4A
Step 3: find values of A, B, C
A + C = -2
C + 4B = 20
4C + 4A = -68 (A + C) = -17
Matrix A
1 0 1
0 1 4
1 0 1
Matrix B
And the determinant of matrix A is zero, hence I can't solve the task using Cramer's rule. Obviously, there are mistakes in my approach. What are they? Please, help me to see them.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ducmod said:

Homework Statement

Hello!
Here is my second post on the subject partial fraction decomposition. The subject looks pretty easy to learn, but when I try exercises, I do not get to the correct answer. Please, take a look at the exercise below and help me to see my mistakes.

Homework Equations

(-2x^2 + 20x - 68) / (x^3 + 4x^2 + 4x - 68)

Step 1: create a form for partial fraction decomposition by factoring the denominator:
x^3 + 4x^2 + 4x - 68 = (x^2 + 4) ( x + 4)
The two sides are not equal. Check if you copied the problem correctly.
ducmod said:
x^2 + 4 is in irreducible quadratic form, thus I will work with the above factors
(-2x^2 + 20x - 68) (x^2 + 4) ( x + 4) / (x^3 + 4x^2 + 4x - 68) = A (x^2 + 4) ( x + 4) / (x + 4) + (Bx + C) (x^2 + 4) ( x + 4) / (x^2 + 4)
A + C = -2
C + 4B = 20
Matrix A
1 0 1
0 1 4
1 0 1
Matrix B
And the determinant of matrix A is zero, hence I can't solve the task using Cramer's rule. Obviously, there are mistakes in my approach. What are they? Please, help me to see them.
Thank you!

ehild said:
The two sides are not equal. Check if you copied the problem correctly.
sorry, it's a typo; +16 instead of -68 in the denominator, but all calculations are based on +16 value

ducmod said:
A + C B= -2
C + 4B = 20
There is a mistake in your equations. The first one is A+B=-2.

ducmod said:

Homework Statement

Hello!

Homework Equations

(-2x^2 + 20x - 68) / (x^3 + 4x^2 + 4x + 16)

x^3 + 4x^2 + 4x + 16 = (x^2 + 4) ( x + 4)
(-2x^2 + 20x - 68) (x^2 + 4) ( x + 4) / (x^3 + 4x^2 + 4x + 16) = A (x^2 + 4) ( x + 4) / (x + 4) + (Bx + C) (x^2 + 4) ( x + 4) / (x^2 + 4)
A + C = -2
C + 4B = 20
Matrix A
1 0 1
0 1 4
1 0 1
Matrix B
Thank you!

[tex] \frac{A}{4+x} + \frac{Bx+C}{x^2+4} = \frac{(A+B)x^2 + (4B+C)x +(4A+4C)}{(x+4)(x^2+4)} [/tex]
Thus, the equations are
[tex] A+B = -2 \\
4B+C = 20 \\
4A+4C=-68
[/tex]
Why bother with matrices? It is much easier just to use elementary elimination: the second equation gives ##C = 20-4B##, and putting that into the other two equations gives two linear equations in ##A## and ##B## alone. Solving 2x2 linear systems is pretty easy.

What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a method used to break down a rational function into simpler fractions. It involves finding the partial fractions that make up the original function.

Why is partial fraction decomposition important?

Partial fraction decomposition is important because it allows us to simplify complex rational functions and make them easier to work with. It also helps us solve integrals and differential equations more easily.

How do you perform partial fraction decomposition?

The steps to perform partial fraction decomposition are as follows:

1. Factor the denominator of the rational function.
  2. Write the rational function as a sum of simpler fractions with these factors as denominators.
  3. Set up and solve a system of equations to determine the unknown coefficients in the simpler fractions.
  4. Combine the simpler fractions to get the final partial fraction decomposition.

What are the different types of partial fraction decomposition?

There are two types of partial fraction decomposition: proper and improper. Proper partial fraction decomposition is used when the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator, while improper partial fraction decomposition is used when the degree of the numerator is greater than or equal to the degree of the denominator.

Can partial fraction decomposition be applied to any rational function?

Yes, partial fraction decomposition can be applied to any proper rational function, which is a ratio of two polynomials with the degree of the numerator being less than the degree of the denominator. Improper rational functions can also be decomposed, but the process may be more complex.