1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial fraction decomposition exercise 2

1. Jun 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello!
    Here is my second post on the subject partial fraction decomposition. The subject looks pretty easy to learn, but when I try exercises, I do not get to the correct answer. Please, take a look at the exercise below and help me to see my mistakes.

2. Relevant equations
    (-2x^2 + 20x - 68) / (x^3 + 4x^2 + 4x + 16)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Step 1: create a form for partial fraction decomposition by factoring the denominator:
    x^3 + 4x^2 + 4x + 16 = (x^2 + 4) ( x + 4)
    x^2 + 4 is in irreducible quadratic form, thus I will work with the above factors
    Step 2: clear denominators
    (-2x^2 + 20x - 68) (x^2 + 4) ( x + 4) / (x^3 + 4x^2 + 4x + 16) = A (x^2 + 4) ( x + 4) / (x + 4) + (Bx + C) (x^2 + 4) ( x + 4) / (x^2 + 4)
    -2x^2 + 20x - 68 = x^2 (A + B) + x ( C + 4B) + 4C + 4A
    Step 3: find values of A, B, C
    A + C = -2
    C + 4B = 20
    4C + 4A = -68 (A + C) = -17
    Matrix A
    1 0 1
    0 1 4
    1 0 1
    Matrix B
    And the determinant of matrix A is zero, hence I can't solve the task using Cramer's rule. Obviously, there are mistakes in my approach. What are they? Please, help me to see them.
    Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2016 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The two sides are not equal. Check if you copied the problem correctly.

4. Jun 25, 2016 #3
    sorry, it's a typo; +16 instead of -68 in the denominator, but all calculations are based on +16 value

5. Jun 25, 2016 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is a mistake in your equations. The first one is A+B=-2.

6. Jun 25, 2016 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \frac{A}{4+x} + \frac{Bx+C}{x^2+4} = \frac{(A+B)x^2 + (4B+C)x +(4A+4C)}{(x+4)(x^2+4)} [/tex]
    Thus, the equations are
    [tex] A+B = -2 \\
    4B+C = 20 \\
    4A+4C=-68
    [/tex]
    Why bother with matrices? It is much easier just to use elementary elimination: the second equation gives ##C = 20-4B##, and putting that into the other two equations gives two linear equations in ##A## and ##B## alone. Solving 2x2 linear systems is pretty easy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted